Playback problems in v7.13

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
perfectpitch
Sibelius Version: 7.13
Operating System: Windows

Post by perfectpitch » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:48 pm

Okay, first of all - I've been using Sibelius 7 for almost a decade and this problem only arises when I format my computer and re-install Sibelius 7.13 (I'll try and keep it short but detailed).

I've installed Sibelius v7.0 from the DVD's and updated using the v7.13 patch.
I've installed the Sibelius sounds including the v7.12 sounds patch
No matter what Audio Engine I select - Microsoft GM WaveSynth seems to ALWAYS work, Sibelius Sounds does not... in ANY option I select (even if it's ASIO or Primary Sound Driver)
The mixer still goes crazy as if it recognises the notes, but LITERALLY no sound comes out of my speakers. Every other program with sound works - heck, it even plays through my External digital piano.
I have even made sure the Sibelius Sounds folder is added to the VST folders.

I can't get a single sound from Sibelius Sounds and I know it's worked in the past. I have an Xonar DGX Sound card, and with an Edifier Stereo speaker set.

I'm DESPERATELY looking for help on this matter (it seems to be prevalent in most versions), however I've looked at most of them and they seem to offer no help. :x

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:44 pm

What is your OS. Sib 7 (or eveb sib 8 - 2020.1) will not work with the latest Mac OSs - especially Big Sur.

Show us your dialogs :- Playback devices and Audio engine options with the device drop down list showing
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

perfectpitch

Post by perfectpitch » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:29 am

Should of mentioned - I'm on Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had it working before I formatted and again, it was Windows 10 in 64-bit.

Also, it won't let me attach the image claiming the image is too big. It's not even 700Kb for goodness sake. Sibelius needs to seriously up the attachment limit size.

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:11 am

Let me correct a misapprehension. This forum is NOT the official Sibelius one. That lies at : https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... groupid=3b . No sib staffers or other representatives come here. Just me and a few other die hards. This forum is incredibly old (by modern standards) and nobody seems to know who owns it. I believe the max attachment size is 100K - yes, K!!

As to your problem: If you are getting movement in the mixer, the issue is unlikely to be with sib itself. Therefore we need to look at the signal path. Have you checked Windows' own playback device options? They aren't pointing to a different device than the one you are listening on?

Have you tried every entry in the Interface drop-down? If you are using a Wireless/Bluetooth device, make sure it is paired and connected before starting Sibelius. Ditto for any external sound cards. Sib won't pick them up if they are not connected before you start the program. Can you get a screenprint of the actual interface drop-down with it open? Choosing drivers is best done starting with ASIO and then MME and then DS. Also, tick "Release device when Sibelius is in the background"

Have you checked with the manufacturers of your devices that you have the latest drivers? Don't rely on Windows to do it. It does a poor job.

If I may ask, you talk about reformatting your hard drive as though it's a regular occurrence. I think I've only ever had to do it once in my entire 40-odd years of using a PC (due to a nasty virus). What is the reason?
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

perfectpitch

Post by perfectpitch » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:38 pm

Sadly enough - it looks like https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... groupid=3b is far less alive than this one, so I thank you for trying to help.

Somehow I suspect it is Sibelius though. Literally every other program works perfectly with sound. Sibelius is the ONLY one that does not work. The Windows sound settings point directly to my Edifier speakers and they work brilliantly.

Yes, I have tried every interface in the drop down box - it was the first thing I did, and no I am not using any wireless or bluetooth devices. And every single one of them wouldn't display any sound from Sibelius drivers, YET they do for Microsoft Synthesizer... so that leads me to believe that the sound engine is routing the sound through the right devices that I choose. It's almost as if Sibelius Sounds was on mute.

Okay - I didn't format my computer this time - I actually bought a new one, but I remember having this ordeal ages ago when I formatted my computer 2 years ago. I forget how I fixed it then, but now I have new hardware - I'd LIKE to think that this program is still useful. When you mean:
Can you get a screenprint of the actual interface drop-down with it open?
Isn't that what I posted in the last post? If not, what is it you're looking for? Is that the interface in Sibelius or in Windows?

perfectpitch

Post by perfectpitch » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:31 pm

Well... after more dicking about - I think I've discovered the problem. The Sibelius CD's are corrupt and are no longer properly copying some of the Sibelius sound files properly to the HD.

The Piano was one of them hence why it didn't work. Some of the strings are the same, so I've got corrupt files.

I don't know how I'm going to replace those CD's. No one's sold Sibelius v7 for YEARS!!!

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:07 pm

The main sibelius forum is very much alive. I don't know why you think otherwise!

If you have a kosher installation of Sibelius installed, you should be able to download the files from your MyAvid account.

https://my.avid.com/products#MyProducts

You should see a list like this: (image 2).
Interface drop down open.png
Interface drop down open.png (44.06 KiB) Viewed 14107 times
myavid products.png
myavid products.png (69.53 KiB) Viewed 14107 times

perfectpitch

Post by perfectpitch » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:03 am

I'm trying to get through AvidLink, but every serial I type in isn't being accepted even though I've signed in with the same e-mail that I used to register the product.

I've put a case to Avid and hopefully they might also be able to help me solve it. So thanks for your help so far, I do appreciate it - hopefully it will get sorted out soon.

Also, in regards to my earlier statement - every time I visited the Avid Sibelius links, it would literally give me a blank page. I think your link is a slightly older unused one as it keeps coming up blank. The one I (eventually after hours of dicking about) I got to work was this: http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcen ... &groupid=3 (no need for the b at the end), which is why it was always coming up blank.

I've attached the Audio interface options, but as I said - it seems it does work, but only select instruments since my Sibelius Sounds is corrupted. Once I can get AvidLink to accept my Sibelius purchase, I'm probably golden.
Attachments
Audio Interface options.png
Audio Interface options.png (43.13 KiB) Viewed 14097 times

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:51 am

OK. The only way you are going to get this sorted is through a customer support case with Avid. There is no way you can re-register Sib 7.x on your own. Those types of serial numbers no longer work. There's also the possibility that your seat count has been exceeded. You are only allowed two registered installations of sib. If any of your previous installations failed to be unregistered this would also put the kaibosh on your installation. If you don't get a quick response, try emailing ingrid.guce@avid.com. She is always very helpful.

Sorry about the extraneous 'b'. I must have caught it instead of the space bar!

If you view your sounds folder properties in windows, how big is it? The compressed download is the same size as the sib 7.5 library, so there's a chance that the unpacked library is about the same size as shown in the picture. The sound library has had very little change since its first release. Checking this will tell you if the library is properly installed.

Have you considered NotePerformer as a library? It's quite cheap and the sounds are considerably better than Sib Sounds. It also works 'out of the box' and is great for all kinds of music except jazz/pop.
Attachments
sib sounds folder size.png
sib sounds folder size.png (20.43 KiB) Viewed 14088 times

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:41 am

Looking at your screenshot, it seems you have an ASIO capable soundcard. Are your speakers plugged into it? If so, select it as your audio driver. If you have and ASIO capable card it should work better and with lower latency than the DS sound driver.

perfectpitch

Post by perfectpitch » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:23 am

andyg wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:41 am
Looking at your screenshot, it seems you have an ASIO capable soundcard. Are your speakers plugged into it? If so, select it as your audio driver. If you have and ASIO capable card it should work better and with lower latency than the DS sound driver.
If you had checked my initial posts, yes - speakers are plugged into it - the proof being that when I use ASIO, Microsoft Synthesizer works perfectly. The problem is my Sibelius sounds are corrupt and I need to re-download the Sibelius Sound Library... which I'm currently attempting to do.

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:23 pm

While doing this, make sure you don't let your machine hibernate or sleep. If you've got a fast broadband it shouldn't take too long.

perfectpitch

Post by perfectpitch » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:46 am

Thanks Mike... don't worry - I've got hibernate/sleep turned off. I'm quite vigilante with when I want the computer on and off. It's a half hour download anyway, not that long.

Turns out the problem might be my RAM. I'm having trouble opening large Zip files, I've just recently had Firefox crashes... so I'm currently investigating that. Couldn't even get through Windows Memory Diagnostic for 30 seconds before it stated I had RAM errors.

:(

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:39 am

That's not a good sign in a new machine, but I suppose it must happen.

Good luck sorting it out.

perfectpitch

Post by perfectpitch » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:44 am

Thanks for that... I'm hoping it will be an easy fix.