Sibelius Mixer Kontakt gets Ch2, Ch1 wrong, & Instruments

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
wfeg
Sibelius Version: 8.5.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by wfeg » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:45 am

Why is using Kontakt VST's along with Sibelius so mysterious?????????????????
Why isn't there a good step-by-step video that can solve this problem for so many users?
I have had so much trouble using Kontakt with Sibelius.
When I finally get Kontakt VST, (Kontakt.dll 64-bit) into Sibelius, I still have difficulties in getting Sibelius to play sounds with Kontakt instrument sounds.

The next problem is that when I come to allocate Channels for the various instruments in the Mixer, the Mixer keeps:
1) Changing Channel to -.
2) Changing MIDI Channel 1 to MIDI Channel 2.
3) Allocating piano to MIDI Channel 1 and h=horn to MIDI channel 2.
The Sibelius Mixer used with Kontakt Factory Library, gets Ch2, Ch1 and Instruments wrong- please refer to the attached /JPG image file.
So you have to allocate 2 instances of Kontakt, one for each instrument type, or what?

Can anyone assist me please?

Wfeg
Attachments
Sibelius Mixer Kontakt gets Ch2, Ch1 wrong, & Instruments.jpg
Sibelius Mixer Kontakt gets Ch2, Ch1 wrong, & Instruments.jpg (238.64 KiB) Viewed 4546 times

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:21 am

In Sibekius' mixer, you cannot alter channel allocations. Those are all done by Sibelius itself. It has been like this since at least version 7.

Do you have a soundset for Kontakt? If you don't you're opening up a world of pain.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

wfeg

Post by wfeg » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:53 am

Mike Lyons
I set the instrument and MIDI Channel number in Kontakt Player in accord with how instruments are laid out in the sheet music.
Then, I go into the Sibelius Mixer and set the device, (Kontakt), and the soundest library Kontakt Player Selection Instrument e.g. horns. But the MIDI channels and instruments change on me in the Mixer for an unknown reason, and if I change them again, they have a mind of their own, and change once again.

Wfeg

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:32 am

As Mike said, you cannot work like that. Sibelius is in charge of the channels.

You need to get, or create, a proper Soundset to get Sibelius to select the correct sounds and let Sibelius choose the channels.

wfeg

Post by wfeg » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:10 am

andyg wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:32 am
As Mike said, you cannot work like that. Sibelius is in charge of the channels.

You need to get, or create, a proper Soundset to get Sibelius to select the correct sounds and let Sibelius choose the channels.
Mike and andyg

Please indicate how I get, or create, a proper Soundset to get Sibelius to select the correct sounds and let Sibelius choose the channels. It seems that the way I have been doing it will not work? And it seems that the proper way is a mystery for many users, that should be un-mystified. Please explain.

wfeg

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:08 pm

It is one of the 'dark arts'. I've never tried it.

You might start with this:

https://www.sibelius.com/download/sse/main.html Not 100% sure if that's up to date.

And it will be a lot of typing, copying and pasting. I've done it for other apps and have no desire to do so again!

You should also ask on the official Sibelius chat pages, rather than on this unofficial site. Mike and I seem to be the only two people answering at the moment and the official site has many more users.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:10 pm

The setting up of a sibelius soundset is extraordinarily complex and troublesome. Jonathan Loving has created a load of these and you can find the Kontakt ones here: http://www.soundsetproject.com/soundset ... struments/

Obviously, because of the immense amount of work involved, Jonathan charges a premium for them, but it is well worth it, IMO.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk