Channel 1 not working - Sibelius 7.5

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
martella

Post by martella » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:00 pm

Whenever my Sibelius 7.5 allocates channel 1 to an instrument, it will not playback sounds (i.e. there is no sound from that channel). All other channels playback perfectly. It doesn't matter which instrument I select, it still won't play back. I have to put a dummy instrument in channel 1, which means I only have 15 channels available, which is a problem if I'm arranging a full orchestral score. I've tried everything I can think of, including inserting a MIDI CC7, CC121 CC 11 etc. but nothing works. I've tried to re-install but still a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions other than upgrading?

I'm running Sibelius 7.5 on Windows 10. I have all drivers updated and using Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface and ASIO. I have no other audio device running. I can still enter notes on the channel 1 instrument, and then, if I export as MIDI and load into another DAW, the channel 1 instrument plays back OK.

It sounds like a software corruption problem, but how do I fix it?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:59 am

We cannot diagnose this problem without the actual file.

Does this affect all files or just one or two?

What is the history of these files? (Were they created in your current version of Sib, were they 'updated' from earlier version(s), were they imported via photoscore/xml/MIDI etc?)
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

martella

Post by martella » Sat May 08, 2021 3:16 pm

It happens on all files, whether new one created in 7.5 or old ones loaded into 7.5. The old files used to playback correctly.

I tried to attach a recent sib file but it said that it was the wrong extension. Strange, as I just played it in Sibelius. I also tried to add a file using the "Attachments" tab and none of the sib files were recognised.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat May 08, 2021 4:29 pm

This forum will not accept sib files.Please email one to me. My addy is in my signature.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

martella

Post by martella » Thu May 20, 2021 11:52 am

SORTED - I'm pleased to report that the problem was not with Sibelius. My thanks to Mike for pointing me in the right direction to resolve the problem.

If I changed the sound set used on channel 1, the channel played OK, which pointed to a sound set problem rather than Sibelius. After a lot of searching and re-installing the solution was simple.

I use CoolSoft Virtual MidiSynth to play a variety of sound sets in Sibelius. When I looked at the CoolSoft Mixer (which I never use) in the main sound set used, somehow channel 1 had become muted. Possibly during an update. Simply by unmuting the channel solved the problem.

Big relief! :D :D