final notes dont finish together

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
wezken

Post by wezken » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:10 pm

I have encountered a problem when playing back a number of scores, in that the notes in the final bar dont all stop at the same time, some carry on after the others have stopped, sometimes for quite a while.
Has anyone else encountered this? if so whats the cure for it, it's driving me insane!

Sibelius Ultimate with Note Performer.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:37 am

Without more info (version/tier/OS) we can only guess. However, I would say if any of the parts have fermatas, then all parts need to have their fermatas in the same place in the bar. E.g. if one part has a whole note and another part has two minims with the fermata on the 2nd one, those two parts will not finish together.
fermatas.png
fermatas.png (40.76 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

wezken

Post by wezken » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:31 am

PLEASE SEE PROBLEM SOLVED! BELOW

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Sibelius Ultimate Version 2021.12 Windows 10
The screenshot below shows the current piece I'm working on, but I have encountered the same problem in other scores also.
There are staves above and below those shown but they are completely empty at the moment.
The hilighted bars seem to be the ones causing the trouble because all of the other instruments finish at the same time, it's only the hilighted ones that hang on.

I have tried the following:-
Removing the 'rall' and 'rit' a few bars before the end (not visIble in the screenshot)
Removing the tenuto's
Removing the slurs
Changing the notes to just a semibreve in the last bar, same as the other instruments
None of these make any difference, the hilighted instruments still hang on after the others have finished.

I have tried removing the hilighted notes completely to check that the other instruments finish together, and they do.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
Last edited by wezken on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

wezken

Post by wezken » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:10 am

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Its a bit complicated but I'll try to explain.
The two parts affected have a volume of 'mp' because they are soloists, whereas all the others are accompaniment and are marked 'p'.
I want the final diminuendo to dim to nothing, and I tried to achieve this by using the Inspector to set them all to a 'Change' value of 50% (as a result of some experimentation)
However, what I failed to take into account was that 50% of 'mp' is not the same as 50% of 'p', it is a louder dynamic and therefore will take longer to dim to zero, so even thought the diminuendo's appear to be lined up, the actual affect is as I've described above.
The cure was to set the 'Change' value of the affected parts to a higher value than the others, (again as the result of experimentation) so that the change happens at a faster rate on those parts and they all get to zero at the same time.

I hope that will help anyone who experiences the same problem :D