seperate midi monitor sound

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
moritzkeller1
Sibelius Version: 8.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by moritzkeller1 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:23 pm

Hi,

I have a maybe quite specific question. I know how to set up different sounds for all project instruments through the mixer window, but I always missed the possibility to have one fixed sound only as a monitor. So as an example: I would have a Bigband project with different instrument sounds for the playback, but only one keyboard sound while editing notes or simply trying out stuff with my midi controller with nothing selected.

I would be really happy about some suggestions!
Moritz :)

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:16 pm

When you click on a staff, playback takes on the sound which is assigned to that staff. So, to hear a specific sound, you would select a bar on that instrument's line in the score and then press [esc]. Playback will play with that instrument's sound.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

moritzkeller1

Post by moritzkeller1 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:45 am

Thank you MikeLyons for your response. Yes, thats how I'm doing it right now. I where just wondering if there was a possibility to keep a certain sound, lets say a piano sound, so that it wouldn't switch while clicking and editing another instrument. That would save me lots of time and clicking. For me the Piano sound is just much more useful in the editing process as it is much more flexible. I even have some woodwind sounds that won't let me play two notes simultaneously. Still I would love to hear all the Instruments in the Playback. I also thought about letting another program outside sibelius play the piano sound, but sibelius cuts of all background program sounds. Maybe someone has an idea?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:01 pm

moritzkeller1 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:45 am
I even have some woodwind sounds that won't let me play two notes simultaneously. Still I would love to hear all the Instruments in the Playback.
These must be external VSTs as Sib sounds and NP both allow polyphonic instruments in their libraries.
moritzkeller1 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:45 am
I also thought about letting another program outside sibelius play the piano sound, but sibelius cuts of all background program sounds. Maybe someone has an idea?
If you want to do this, set the other instrument to use a different output device - eg if sib is using ASIO/WASAPI, then your external device can still use MME or DS (Windows). If youa re on a Mac, I think you might be buggered!

If you get it working, then you need to realise there will likely be latency issues.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

moritzkeller1

Post by moritzkeller1 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:38 pm

Thank you MikeLyons. I'll check if that works!