How can i listen to articulations like legato?

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Plum
Sibelius Version: 8.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by Plum » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:06 pm

I am new to sibelius and when i use playback to listen to a small melody with a legato articulation...it sounds as if there was none.

After some googling, it seems the playback instrument is a low-quality midi that won't recognize articulations, not sure if that's true. It seems i need a new playback device in order to listen to it.

I looked for some tutorials and they all show they have lots of options, but i only have the default midi and nothing more:

How can i add more playback devices, and more importantly, one where i can see the difference between a melody with and without legato.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:47 pm

As long as you are on a version of Sib that is not called Sib|First, you have access to the Sibelius sounds library, through your Avid account. This is a huge download, but worth it because the difference in sound quality on playback is absolutely enormous.

If you can afford it (relatively speaking it is not expensive) NotePerformer will give you even better results.

Just a thought - how are you making your legato? Are you using slurs/phrase marks, or are you using the word legato?
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

Plum
Sibelius Version: 8.1

Post by Plum » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:14 pm

MikeLyons wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:47 pm
Just a thought - how are you making your legato? Are you using slurs/phrase marks, or are you using the word legato?
Actual slur.

I am going to download that file you speak of from account, thanks.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:13 am

Make sure you do not download an updater. The size of the file is about 32GB. When it has downloaded, install it and then check if you need to use one of the updaters (you are unlikely to need this). Make sure your computer does not go into sleep or hibernate while the download is going on. Any interruption to the connection will make a mess and you'll have to start again.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk