Optimizing Noteperformer playback for orchestral pieces

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
VarunSoon
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by VarunSoon » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:03 am

Hello, I have just started using Noteperformer for playbacking orchestral score. I discovered that, even though I set the playback settings to Noteperformer's recommendations (all instruments having the volume of 95 in the Mixer and setting Meccanico as the expressivo setting), the volume of the horns, trombones, and tuba aren't as high as they should be compared to that of the trumpets.

I would like to attach a Sibelius file with this post, but I am unable to.

I am not sure how to fix this issue. Should I adjust the volume in the Mixer and change some volume away from 95? despite the software's recommendations? So, my first question is what setting do others use for playbacking an orchestral score using Noteperformer. How do they optimize the settings to make the playback sound more realistic as an orchestral performance?

I would also like to know what they have as the Playback Dictionary setting for the dynamic value of 'pp', 'p', 'mf', 'f', and 'ff'. The current ones that I use is carried over from my experience with Sibelius 6's Garritan being too soft at times. So my second question is what dynamic values do they use for pp, p, mf, f, and ff in the Playback Dictionary?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:05 am

1. if the bass instruments are not coming through, that could be a liimitation of your playback device. I find that an external monitor usually gives better results than, say. headphones or internal speakers.
2. I just use the default dynamic settings. The dynamics are set according to some rubric from the dark ages of MIDI only playback and have a limit of 128 possible settings. I tried messing about with them, but the differences were negligible.
3. Did you also turn off Live Playback? Having this on means that your dynamics will largely be ignored in favour of any expression in the playback data. if you did not play the music in, this will be set to a constant value.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk