Percussion playback sounds different by starting point

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
MaxWhittaker
Sibelius Version: yes
Operating System: Mac

Post by MaxWhittaker » Fri May 06, 2022 9:28 pm

So I have a transition from Bass drum to Timpani on one part, and when I started play back for the first time, it sometimes defaulted to a different sound, which just sounds like a default drumkit sound or something, but it depended where I started the playback marker, some places it would play the timpani sound. I tweaked it a bit but now it only just plays those drumkit sounds instead of timpani on playback no matter where the starting point is. When I select the notes they play timpani just fine, I don't understand what's causing it. I'm using Note Performer if that makes any difference.

EDIT: LMK if you need the sib file, the forum won't let me attach it to the thread (Which is really silly btw)

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat May 07, 2022 7:09 am

Swapping from an unpitched percussion staff to a pitched one or vice versa has always been tricky in Sib. I generally find that it's better to have separate staves and use hide empty staves when the player is using one or the other. You can create a dynamic part that contains both staves and again use Hide Empty Staves to hide the one not being used. You will have to make sure the changes happen at the end of a system so that there is no showing of blank bars
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk