"Fall" symbol playback

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
jazznichole
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by jazznichole » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:03 am

Hi all, I'm having issues with playback of the "fall" symbol. It's a little hard to describe what's happening, but I don't see a way to attach an audio file, so I'll try: I have a fall symbol on a quarter note. It's playing the quarter note normally, without a fall, and then it's playing the fall on the next beat, as if it's a separate note. I went into the playback dictionary and set the "fall" symbol to have "no playback effect," but it's still playing it back exactly as I described. Any clue why this is happening? Thanks!

Edit: Sorry! Almost forgot to mention. I'm running Sibelius Ultimate on Big Sur.
Attachments
what I see.png
What I wrote
what I see.png (41.82 KiB) Viewed 6277 times
what I hear.png
What Sibelius plays back
what I hear.png (40.85 KiB) Viewed 6277 times

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:01 am

Saying Sib Ultimate on Big Sur does not help us very much. Some versions of Sib Ult work on Big Sur, but some don't. Versions 2018.4 to 2020.3 are not fully compatible with Big Sur - if at all.

I vaguely remember there were some playback problems with some jazz articulations in the Sibelius sounds libraries. Sib sounds has not been updated since version 7.5 was released in 2014 - apart from a patch for the bass clarinet problem.

It certainly works as expected in NotePerformer on Sib Ult. 2022.5, on Windows.

I've just tried it using Sib Sounds (all of them) and can confirm that it does happen as described! It must be an artifact of the Sib libraries.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

jazznichole
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by jazznichole » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:06 pm

Just checked my settings -- I'm running version 2022.5. I don't have NotePerformer, though. I did just try changing up my sound configuration, and if I use the basic Sibelius 7 Sounds, it will play back the brass without the fall, but not the saxophones. Mainly I'd like to know if there's a way to get it to ignore the fall symbol during playback; I don't actually need to hear the fall, and it's distracting to hear an extra note when I'm listening back to it. I don't understand why my change to the playback dictionary doesn't seem to be working.
Attachments
playback dictionary.jpg
playback dictionary.jpg (198.04 KiB) Viewed 6254 times

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:09 pm

In later versions of Sib, the fall, doit and so on are extensions of the notehead. You can't stop them from playing. The best thing would be to fake it with a zymbol or a line and turn off its play on pass.

I have just tried faking it with a zymbol and unticking the zymbol's Play on Pass boxes and that worked for me. I suspect your dictionary entry refers to the zymbol, not the built-in keypad note extension.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk