Soundblaster Play! Quits w/Sibelius

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
chuckpuckett
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by chuckpuckett » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:39 pm

I've started having a problem with a fairly new sound device (less than 9 months old). My SB Play! has worked wothout any issues for months since I bought it, but in the last 2-3 weeks, it has been very problematic. I can start Sibelius and use it for several minutes, and then I hear a little "pfft" (just a very quiet click maybe), and Sibelius playback stops. I have to exit Sibelius, and restart, and then the SB device will soldier on for a few minutes, then again stop working.

I can use the SB with any other app, even after it has stopped working with Sibelius, no problem. Play a Youtube video, an MP3, whatever. But once it stops for Sibelius, only restarting Sibelius will make it work again. I've started just using my (inferior) onboard sound card to avoid the aggravation.

Any ideas? Anyone else with similar experience?
Chuck Puckett
Against stupidity, the gods themselves strive in vain.
I don’t want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:04 pm

1. Most creative cards are not suitable for use with music creation software. They are generally designed for gaming, which requires a much different way of working.
2. If it works for a while and then goes "Pft", that could be a sign that your drivers need updating. Check on the Creative website if there are any updates available. Don't rely on your Windows to tell you - it lies! Go and check for yourself.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk