No Sound On Playback

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Andrew0568
Sibelius Version: 2019.9

Post by Andrew0568 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:49 pm

I think my audio engine is set up correctly because I can hear the startup theme when I first open Sibelius. But playing back, none of the mixer meters are moving and I can't hear anything. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Edit: It looks like my problem was Noteperformer was set for playback. Shouldn't there be something on the right in the "active devices" section as seen in the screenshot? Noteperformer isn't listed under "available devices"
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 4.16.51 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 4.16.51 PM.png (243.19 KiB) Viewed 6123 times

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:07 am

You're on a Mac. What version operating system are you using? If it's recent and you are actually using Sib 2019.9 then you'll have to update Sibelius to the latest version.

Also, we need to see the Audio Engines screen, so post a screenshot of that.

TimT
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Mac

Post by TimT » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:35 pm

Sibelius Ultimate
MacOS Ventura 13.3

Deleted and reinstalled via Sibelius Sounds updater application.
Checked latest firmware and driver for audio interface.
Audio interface works fine in all other apps.
Aria player installed and working fine.
Every other activated sound device from within Sibelius works fine.

No sound from Sibelius Sounds 7.

Would some kind, generous person please help me with this issue?

Note: I’ve followed all the recommended steps from Avid support videos. I’m stumped.

Thank you!

Tim

andyg

Post by andyg » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:28 am

You've used the updater app, but have you actually downloaded and installed the SIbelius Sounds themselves? It's a very large download, 23GB, and is not part of the Sibelius installation. And if you have the sounds installed, did you install them in the default location where Sibelius expects to find them?

Aria Player is nothing to do with Sibelius or its sounds.

And I assume that you are on a recent version of Sibelius Ultimate and that the version that is actually activated on your computer is Ultimate, not Artist or First.

TimT
Sibelius Version: 8

Post by TimT » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:08 pm

andyg wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:28 am
You've used the updater app, but have you actually downloaded and installed the SIbelius Sounds themselves? It's a very large download, 23GB, and is not part of the Sibelius installation. And if you have the sounds installed, did you install them in the default location where Sibelius expects to find them?

Aria Player is nothing to do with Sibelius or its sounds.

And I assume that you are on a recent version of Sibelius Ultimate and that the version that is actually activated on your computer is Ultimate, not Artist or First.
Yes. Downloaded sounds (23gb) and the file resides in the same directory as the installer. The installer creates the necessary directories and on perusing them there is content in the various instrument folders.
Latest version of Sibelius Ultimate, and it’s activated.
Sounds installed in the default directory for MacOS, to be moved AFTER I get them working.
I mentioned Aria because it’s working - to confirm correct soundcard selected, etc.

Again, have worked through all the trouble-shooting pages and complied with all directions. I see the Sibelius Player metronome on the mixer meter banging away, but no sound. No sound via the Sibelius Player for ANY instrument selected/loaded in any document. I have also deleted any configurations I created in the Playback configuration window, then created new configuration after verifying the installer worked (by checking directories and content in the various instrument folders.)

One more comment: Yes, my speakers and audio interface are configured correctly. Everything except Sibelius Player produces sound and I can hear it in the speakers.

Thanks for your very kind reply.

Tim

craigbrandau
Sibelius Version: 7.5

Post by craigbrandau » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:57 pm

Me too! Making me nuts!

andyg

Post by andyg » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:52 pm

If you really are on that version of Sibelius and a very recent Mac O/S, you will have to upgrade. In fact Apple pushed an update to older O/S versions some time ago that permanently disabled sounds on playback. So again, you probably have no choice but to upgrade to a new version of Sibelius :(

One of the wonderful things about Macs! :( Windows 10 and 11 still run all versions of Sibelius back to version 6 and probably 5 and 4 as well. So it's possible but Apple have made it impossible.

You should perhaps ask the question on the official Sibelius chat page as well as this old, unofficial site.