Can't play sound from other apps while Sibelius is open

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
hannesjunestav
Sibelius Version: 2022.7
Operating System: Windows

Post by hannesjunestav » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:57 am

Hi!

I run Sibelius Ultimate on Windows 10 and recently set up a midi keyboard (m-audio keystation 49 mk3). At first I had trouble with enormous latency in the playback when playing on the keyboard in Sibelius. I solved that by downloading ASIO4ALL and picking that as the chosen audio interface.

However, with ASIO, other programs weren't able to play sound with Sibelius open. I found a way to partly circumvent this by tickiung the box "release device when Sibelius is in the background". Now I can for example start playing a song from Spotify, but as soon as I click the Sibelius window, the sound stops. In the same way, I get no playback from Sibelius as soon as I click on any other program.

Is there any way around this problem, other than having Sibelius playback from a different speaker/headphone than other programs?

If I use WASAPI sound interface (which gives me almost acceptable playback latency from the midi keyboard) it's the same problem.

If I use DS sound interface, other programs can play sound while sibelius is open, but the midi keyboard playback latency is horrible, plus I still can't hear the midi keyboard when Sibelius is in the background.

Hopefully someone has a solution to this that I couldn't find elsewhere. Thanks!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:36 am

Most ASIO providers are single client. That means only one application can use the driver at a time. This is a limitation of the driver, not sibelius. There ARE multi-client ASIO drivers about, but they tend to be proprietary and specific to particular hardware.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk