Unexpected Volume Change

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
chuckpuckett
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by chuckpuckett » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:05 pm

(reposting in more appropriate subforum)
I'm seeing, well hearing actually, something quite unusual. I've mainly noticed it in the strings.
First of all, they're supposed to be playing p, but they're very loud. And then, at what seems an arbitrary measure, they suddenly actually do play p, There are no new dynamic markings, just an abrupt volume change.

I actually created a completely new score with the same instrumentation, and copied each instrument in turn into the new score, but the problem has persisted.

No idea how to fix it.

I'm using NotePerformer, which I've used for years with no such problem. Anyway, I shifted to Sib Sounds, still happens.

Running Windows 11 Home, with latest updates. Sib Ultimate (no udates since January)
Chuck Puckett
Against stupidity, the gods themselves strive in vain.
I don’t want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:29 am

We need the actual score to diagnose this.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

chuckpuckett

Post by chuckpuckett » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:58 pm

I had sort of worked around this with strings (turned off Live Playback seemed to work) but it's back in spades with guitars. This score has guitar chords, and whenever the playback encounters a B chord, the volume inexplicably jumps up. Happens on acoustic and electric guitars. I copied the chords into a piano stave, no problem there. Live Playback is off.

I've attached a ZIP with the SIB file.

PS I'm using NotePerformer. When I use Sib 7 Sounds, the B chord is not so much louder, but definitely not played like other chords (muffled might be the best way to describe it)
Attachments
EC#mBABE.zip
(92.37 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Chuck Puckett

chuckpuckett

Post by chuckpuckett » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:04 pm

Weirder and weirder. Just for grins, I transposed from E to G, so the B chord is now a D chord.

SAME THING HAPPENS!! The D chords in the original score play fine, by the way.

(what is the emoji for tearing one's hair out?)
Chuck Puckett

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:49 am

Unfortunately I couldn't open the file you attached when I unzipped it. Says it was created in a newer version of Sibelius 7.5.1, even though I do have 7.5.1. Perhaps someone else here can take a look, or you can try on the official community pages at Avid.com.

Obviously this is probably the first site that comes up when you search for a Sibelius Forum, but it's purely a user forum, and sadly these days getting rather quiet...
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

chuckpuckett

Post by chuckpuckett » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:47 am

Been a forum member for many, many years. Have gotten much good info here. Sorry to hear if its become less active
Chuck Puckett