Photoscore to Sibelis: Titles location wrong

Discuss Photo Score issues here.
Legolas1309
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Windows

Post by Legolas1309 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:41 pm

Photoscore ultimate 6 to Sibelius 6
Hi, my horn part of a musical (100 pages !) is so poor layouted, that one cannot play it. My plan was to create a proper layout with Sibelius. So I scanned it to Photoscore successfully and corrected this and that. Sending the (100 pages-) scan to Sibelius , I realized, that the titles, subtitles and many coments are positioned on first page only and red coloured on screen (which is shown black in attached file). Obviously the information of text location is completely lost. A scan like this is worthless for me, since to correct this by hand would take some days. Is there a possibility to config Potoscore and the transfer process to Sibelius. The guys of Photscore cannot mean this serious ...
Thanks for support
Attachments
M-B&B_S014-S103_S1.png
M-B&B_S014-S103_S1.png (84.74 KiB) Viewed 12491 times

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:36 am

Sorry, but I don't think there is a quick and easy fix for this. Photoscore doesn't seem to have any real way of differentiating movements/sections within a score so any Title/Subtitle/Composer etc text on any page will apply to the whole score (i.e. page 1) when transferred to Sibelius. There is a sort of warning about the in the Photoscore manual about splitting sections of "Longer scores" into separate scores, but this could easily be missed. These sections could be batch joined in Sibelius, which should keep Title info on the correct page.

What I do after scanning into Photoscore for scores with movements, or longer scores (e.g. tunebooks or collections) is to turn any text interpreted as Title or Subtitle into a Tempo marking, and any Composer/Lyricist into Technique/Expression or Miscellaneous text, anything else that attaches itself to a specific note or bar, so that the positional information is kept when transferred to Sibelius. Text filtering in Sibelius could then be used to modify each text type to Title or whatever.

Irritating and time consuming I know, and if there's a better way I'd also be glad to hear about it.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

Legolas1309
Sibelius Version: 6

Post by Legolas1309 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Well, you are right, there is no better way. Also M3c, my german supplier whom I asked for support, did not know more. Could you automate this procedure in the "search and replace" menu with "replace all"-button ? I had to insert each text string beside the replace-button. Anyway thanks.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:06 am

If you are scanning a multi-movement piece you are far better off doing it a movement at a time and appending them in sibelius after corrections.

Some things to note:

1. It is your responsibility to proofread the scan BEFORE you send it to sibelius. Trying to correct messes afterwards is a whole world of pain.
2. You need to check the following carefully:
a) any text (system text, expression text (often ends up in lyrics), tempo markings, rall/rit/acceletc)
b)Key signs. Sometimes PS will put a KS in the wrong place. It's a nightmare to correct in Sib
c) Time Sigs. PS often inserts ts when there are irregular bars and often gets ts changes wrong. These should also be corrected before transfer to Sib
d) Rests. You should always try to scan the score, rather than cobble it together from the parts. You need to check that there are no surplus rests or missing ones.
e) Voices. PS will sometimes misread the rests/notes in a bar and will usually create too many voices. These can cause problems in Sib so it's better to check BEFORE you send the scan over.

Sometimes, for small scores/mvmts, it's quicker to put them in by hand. Don't expect much success with lyrics. Even the latest paid version still has issues with lyrics. Better to put them in in Sib.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk