The PhotoScore-Factors

Discuss Photo Score issues here.
bratschenbrenner
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Windows

Post by bratschenbrenner » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi there,

I just wonder, if some smart guys could round up their opinion to "How be successful with PhotoScore".
What are the important factors to get it right?

Reason to why I ask it, is, that I've been very randomly successful.
I find it hard to find out, what is critical on scan with success.
Neuratron states that they have a successrate of 99,5%.
Mine is at about 25% right know. (Success meaning to me: about half of the sheet's lines and notes read correct...)
The two last weeks the rate dropped to 0%. So I'm really desperate right now.

Thanks to all answers in advance!!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 am

1. The best results usually come from scans of computer generated scores
2. If converting pdfs, they should be the highest quality scans. Those from IMSLP and other places are not always the best quality or the clearest.
3. Make sure you get the staff size correct. Try each of the sizes offered until you get the best results
4. Give up on lyrics before you start - it is much quicker to put these in yourself in Sibelius.
5. You must check and proofread the results BEFORE you try to port into Sibelius. Check for clef changes, key changes, incorrect accidentals and bar lengths/time signatures not matching.
6. Make sure notes in more complex music are in the correct voices.

I'd say that I probably achieve 90% accuracy on most of the stuff I convert. On shorter scores it's probably more efficient to put it in by hand!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bratschenbrenner
Sibelius Version: 8

Post by bratschenbrenner » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I just gave it a shot on some bad-scanned sheets.
I got quite good results on them. I just had to scan them in Black/white-format instead of grayscaled (grayscaled is recommended...). That gave me much better results.
After adding some stave-lines and fixing a few notes it was finished. (Less than 1 hour for three pages).

Thanks for the help!!