Stave-recognition

Discuss Photo Score issues here.
bratschenbrenner
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Windows

Post by bratschenbrenner » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi there,

I just scanned a quite bad-quality partiture into PS7 Ultimate.

If I use BW-scanning, I get quite usable results, but I have to locate some staves manually.
In that operation, PS often don't recognise the whole page as a one-lined partiture. It makes brackets in different parts of the sheet and gives the first bracket the first e.g. 5 tacts, and gives the next bracket on the same page the tacts 6 - 10.

I noticed, that, when I locate staves, there are red, vertical lines that obviously define how many staves one bracket includes, but I can't draw that red, vertical line, to include more staves.

Anybody knows how to correct this problem?
I know that the "Rescore"-button does not give me, what I need...

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:16 pm

There isn't much that can be done when you start with a bad copy. Even good copies can be a problem. You might try some different settings: 600 instead of 300 pts, black and white or gray scale, twain setting. Good luck.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

DrLou
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Mac

Post by DrLou » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:04 pm

The red vertical lines usually indicate 'no end of bar' found - if I recall correctly.

Am working on a similar situation lately; scanning in a very poor-quality original. As another poster has suggested, keep experimenting with settings - this is something of a black art - until you get the most-complete scan, even though it will likely be very far from perfect. From there, copy-paste is your friend. If working with a bad original, there's probably no getting around this.

My go-to scan settings had almost always been 400 dpi grayscale. In my most recent project, it suddenly seemed that 300 dpi B/W was giving me the best results. I'd say the experimentation in settings, before beginning the actual production scan, will hold you in good stead.

Next: You're always best off by correcting all your timing issues first, in PhotoScore, before trying to move the piece over to Sibelius.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:28 am

The red line on the left of the page indicates joined staves. You can extend or shorten it using [alt]click (PC). Click on the last connected stave (or the first staff if there is only one) and then [alt]click on the next. Repeat until they are all connected. If you accidentally join two systems together, [alt]click will toggle the connection.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk