SIBELIUS SCORCH DISALLOWS PRINTING TO FILE!!!???

Disucssion of all scorch issues.
!ME!

Post by !ME! » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:44 am

WHY DOES SIBELIUS SCORCH DISALLOW PRINTING TO FILE!!!??? WHEN I USED A PDF PRINTER SUCH AS THE "CUTEPDF WRITER", I GOT A MESSAGE SAYING, "PRINTING TO FILE IS NOT ALLOWED."!!! WHY!!!???

Vergel71

Post by Vergel71 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:30 pm

http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/reso ... g_pdf.html

this explains how to print sibelius files to pdf, a bit of work involved but it works.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Vergel71 wrote:. . . this explains how to print sibelius files to pdf . . .
. . . but not how to print Scorch files (which, I recently discovered, are specifically set not to allow printing to file).

My guess is that the ban is to stop people printing to PDF then using PhotoScore to create a Sibelius file.

In another similar thread I pointed out that it is possible to display each page of the file, use screen capture (Shift-PrScr on my system), paste into a graphics program or Word or somesuch and print to PDF from there.

I wouldn't ever want to encourage piracy, but the ban on print-to-file applies even with free or paid-for Scorch files, which may seem quite unfair. If this technique is employed, it's up to individuals to ensure they use it legitimately.

BeefMilk

Post by BeefMilk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:12 pm

!ME! wrote:WHY DOES SIBELIUS SCORCH DISALLOW PRINTING TO FILE!!!???
Yes, you can print it to file and this is an solution:
1. Switch OFF your printer. Must be OFF not ON.
2. Start printing.
3. Go to the folder where printer spool files are created. For example in WIN XP it can be C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS
or to find out which folder is used just Google "server spool folder location".
4. Copy file *.spl (with extension SPL) and paste in save location/folder of your choice.
5. Download and install freeware SPL files viewer http://www.lvbprint.de/SplViewSetup.exe (in German only but it is ease to use)
6. Start SplView and drag and drop saved *.spl file into SplView window.
7. Now you can re-print the file as many times as you want, you can print to file or PDF creator of your choice (Datei>Drucken) or you can copy and paste for example into image editor (Bearbeiten>Kopieren).
8. Now you can turn ON your printer, it should resume printing normally.