Cannot open SIB files

Disucssion of all scorch issues.
SillieBilly

Post by SillieBilly » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:21 pm

I received a sib file via Outlook Express. I downloaded the Firefox plugin, but need a program to associate with the file.

In my programs I have Sibelius Scorch (Active X only) and Sibelius Scorch 6.0.7 build 15 (Firefox, Opera, Netscape Only)

When I try to open the file from Outlook Express, I get the message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing the action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel. I added the extension SIB and the file type SIB. I don't know what program to associate it with or how to go about doing it.

When I Save the file and try to Open it with the Scorch Plugin, I get the message "The sib file is not a valid WIN32 application.

In the Firefox plugins folder I have two related files - Scorch PDF Wrapper.dll and NPSibelius.dll

I downloaded the plugins for Firefox and Internet Explorer.

All advice will be gratefully appreciated.

EDIT:

I was able to open the file using Firefox, but I am unable to print the music. When I go to a Print Preview, I see only the header with the file path. Print does nothing.

I did a Print Screen and copied the music into a wordprocessor. The music is very small and there is no way to enlarge it.

panhero

Post by panhero » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:37 pm

in the scorch window, there's a print icon, use it.

SillieBilly

Post by SillieBilly » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Here is a screen shot of the Scorch window. There is no print icon that I can find.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-5/7 ... 20Song.JPG

Bill

panhero

Post by panhero » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:30 pm

okay, printing has to be enable by the person who creates the Scorch page, whem exporting the score, same as saving.
So you could have that person do so for you OR you could do it another way.

You could continue taking screenshots, and if you crop it down to just the score, you could use Sharpeye (like photoscore but better) to read those image files. You could then save that as a midi, or MusicXML, and import to sibelius, and do whatever work needed.
Shapeye is just a google away, and is a 30 day trial.

SillieBilly

Post by SillieBilly » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:07 am

Thanks for your reply.

I asked a friend to transpose the music to G major. He used Sibelius and sent me the sib file. I don't have the Sibelius program and would not use it in the future. So I downloaded the Scorch plug-in for Firefox. This is the screen shot that I posted.

Taking screen shots, croping them, and enlarging them makes the staff and notes slightly out-of-focus, and displays the staff too small for me to read easily. I used Paint Shop Pro to do this.

It was easier to use large staff paper and hand-copy the music.

Bill

Jeremy Hughes

Post by Jeremy Hughes » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:11 am

Hi there

You should not have to do all this work just to print out the score.

Ask the person who did the work in Sibelius either to resave it so the scorch file will allow printing, or (easier perhaps) to print it to .pdf and send you that. Then you can print.

Or failing that ask them to print it and post the hard copy to you. That used to work.

Jeremy
music editor/engraver
iMac Intel 2GHz 2GB | OS X Version 10.6.5 Snow Leopard | Sibelius 6.2

SillieBilly

Post by SillieBilly » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:39 pm

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. The friend offered to post a copy to me, but I chose to hand-copy it.

Notice that my original post was almost one month ago, so I have already completed the task.

lourencohen

Post by lourencohen » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:50 am

Try re-installing the plug ins and see whether that fix your issue. There are many other lugins, like light shot to take screenshots and taking a print, or you can directly take a print out from the required page. TRy that.

Thanks
Louren