did i waste my money

Disucssion of all scorch issues.
paulinjapan

Post by paulinjapan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:21 am

I paid musicnotes.com to get 3 bernstein songs from west side story. I have a Mac. the demos played beautifully. they transposed well. I could print them. And then i tried to play the full scores. Nope.

Somehow i went back to the old page and could play the short version.

then i found it doesn't work for Mac.
No file downloaed. and nothing was playable in the browser.
So did I waste my money?

Is their no way to PLAY my transposed versions?

Or is there another site?

Or must i go back to using Midi?

thank you.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:38 am

Most music 'digital delivery' services use Scorch to play the demo. It's not a MIDI File, AFAIK. When you buy the sheet music, you buy just that, sheet music. You don't normally pay for, or buy, a MIDI file.

paulinjapan

Post by paulinjapan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:12 pm

I think I understand what you mean. But my main purpose to use scorch was to get a score and to hear the piece. That is how it seems to be targeting users. Yet once I paid I could not hear the piece as I was told it was for windows.

After all, Sibelius is a product that allows people to compose and play and print out complex scores. It is a reasonable conclusion to think that Scorch would place emphasis on both the play as well. My experience with the muiscnotes.website (not being aloud to hear the whole piece and not being able to download to my Mac) is why I am disappointed and therefore hoping to confirm if this is a Scorchwide-issue or just muiscnote.com.

I did not think I was buying ONLY a score but also a way to practice playing the score by listening to the socrch version. Many people must be like me. They can read a score passingly but not play well. Very disappointing if all I get is a score and not the audio, which is what seems to have been promised. Can anyone confirm what Scorch can offer me as a Mac user?

thanks

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:06 pm

I hear what you're saying, but you should understand that Scorch is NOT a standalone score player. It's a web browser extension and doesn't even play Sibelius scores direct.

Once that purchased score is downloaded when you but it, it's usually no more than a graphics file - and nothing's going to play that directly.

Andy

paulinjapan

Post by paulinjapan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:32 pm

Thank you. I read on the website that you download and (at least Windows) you can play on their player, so now I am confused. Is it true that in Windows you can still play? And only in Mac you cannot? Or is it only that site that you cannot play on Mac? I would hope to clarify

So basically these questions:

Can download and play on Windows--- Music Notes seems to be yes

Can download and play on Mac---NMusic Notes seems to be no. Do other Scorch sites allow? It would seem to be YES based on this wite:

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/downloa ... rod=scorch

If so, did I make a mistake by using Music Notes? If I bought the same file from another company, would I be able to download and play on my Mac?

Since this seems to be the OFFICIAL SCORCH site, I would hope this could be clarified.

Thank you.

panhero

Post by panhero » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:34 am

One major thing to remeber: This is NOT an officil forum.
thre forums on sibelius.com are official, this is a 3rd party forum, and isn't affiliated to sibelius.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:31 pm

paulinjapan wrote: And then i tried to play the full scores. Nope.
If no file was downloaded, what are you trying to play?

Scorch downloads consists of two files: a page of HTML text and a Sibelius score. You use your browser to load the HTML file (or double-click on it), and that page contains script that will play the file.

paulinjapan

Post by paulinjapan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:44 am

First---ops, thank you. I thought from the domain name that this was the official forum. Sorry about that.

Anyway, in response to the two recent notes:

Well, muiscnotes.com doesn't give an option to download. But I can go to the site where I purchased the page and PRINTED (yon can only print one time). That page exists in eternity. There is no way to download, presumably because they do not support a reader for MAC. So I guess I am trying to find out if somehow muiscnotes.com is different than other scorch sites in that respect. As I found there was a reader for MAC later, I wonder if buying a score from another site that DOES support Mac would allow me to play it with the reader.

Or, I am wondering, are some scores simply not downloadable? Meaning you can only play the preview on the website but never play the full score that you have bought. trying to figure out what is Scorch and what is musicnotes.com

Thank you.

paulinjapan

Post by paulinjapan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:00 am

Well, after checking into it more I heard from the help people at Scorch as well as sheetmusicdigital. I found that this company does offer the exact same file (tonight) in the exact same orchestration with completely different terms of service than musicnotes.com. in short, the latter does not allow the playing of the full piece even after payment. Sheetmusicdigital does allow it. And they even say so cleary on their page when you preview the music. you have to scroll all the way down to see the disclaimer on muiscnotes.com's page.

Scorch and Sheetmuiscdigital are very kind and clear about what is possible. Scorch mentions it is up to each site. But their is no clear reason given by musicnotes.com on why thy do not include listening in the same price.

I asked for a refund, more on the basis of the fact that they did not bother to respond. And in the process, they gave the impress that Scorch itself, or Hal Leonard, were somehow deficient when it was just their own restrictive terms.

Buyer beware as always.

thanks

stockegg

Post by stockegg » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:39 am

I understand your meaning. The main purpose of the scorch is score and to hear the piece. That is how it seems to be targeting users.
www.stockegg.com