How do I import new accidentals?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
YanivPerot

Post by YanivPerot » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:17 am

Hello, I am very new to sibelius and transcribing software in general. I play middle-eastern music and I want to use the symbols used in persian music. I found some on this page: http://www.musicprep.com/sibelius/ (microtonal font, number 12 on the music fonts part), but I am not sure where to unzip the files to and what to do after that.

Thanks for help!
Yaniv

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:04 pm

YanivPerot wrote:I am not sure where to unzip the files . . .
Install the files as you would any other file.

Once you have done that, you need to decide how to use them. You can use House Styles > Edit Symbols > Music Fonts to add this font. Click on a similar font (e.g. Special Symbols) then New; give it a name (e.g. Special Symbols(Microtones) and then specify the name of the new font and possibly the size you want it to be.

Then you can add new Symbols to Sibelius with House Styles > Edit Symbols. Look in the Reference for Edit Symbols (Section 8.17 in my PDF Reference for Sibelius 6).

You can choose to edit symbols which are already used as microtones, if you want to substitute your own from this new font. Or you can make New symbols and merely place each one as needed (more labour intensive and not automatically spaced or placed by Sibelius).