Tonic sol-fa

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
clucia

Post by clucia » Mon May 02, 2011 2:16 pm

I have several problems with the "Add tonic sol-fa" Plug-in, which I cannot edit because it is a 'read-only' file. The first is that solfa is added at a fixed distance but too far away from the stave for me. The second is that barlines only appear at the beginning of the line, not at the end. The third is that the superscript and subscript are in different fonts. The fourth is that the the double octave subscript is ll - two short dashes - and South African sol-fa users want subscript 2. The fifth is that in dotted rhythms two sol-fa rhythms often appear superimposed one on top of another making it necessary to delete one. Solving all these problems in a choral score of 100 bars or so by hand takes hours, and hours, and hours... I use a computer program to save time. So: it would be wonderful if the Plug-in window gave options, for example: 1) how far away from the stave should the sol-fa be added, 2) should barlines be shown at the beginning AND end of each line or just the beg., or just the end, 3) would you like two straight lines or the figure 2 for subscript/superscript in double octaves, 4) do you want a dash in addition to comma-period for the dotted semiquaver-quaver figure, 5) single or double barline option.

clucia

Post by clucia » Tue May 03, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks for your reply. I found the "Editing Plugins in Sibelius" manual on the web so I'll try figuring out how to tailor the sol-fa Plug-in to my needs.

However, I think the software designers also need to consider my problems globally. There's no sol-fa notation that I know of, for example, that has 2 fonts for subscript/superscript, or leaves barlines out, and surely it wouldn't be too much to ask for the next generation of Sibelius to have some of the options I'm talking about built into the program?

corawl

Post by corawl » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:09 pm

I have several problems with the "Add tonic sol-fa" Plug-in, which I cannot edit because it is a 'read-only' file.
You can make the file "editable" by removing the check on "read only" in the properties box. (Right click on the file itself, choose "Properties" and uncheck the "read only" attribute.
The first is that solfa is added at a fixed distance but too far away from the stave for me.
Add the sol-fa. click on any item in the resultant line of sol-fa that the plug in inserts. Go to the "Edit" menu, (top left, next to "File") click on "Select" and then "Select more". It will highlight at the very least a whole line of sol-fa which you can move all at the same time using your arrow keys.(Unfortunately it only works on one line at a time, but even that is better than having to go through each individual note and marking.)
The fifth is that in dotted rhythms two sol-fa rhythms often appear superimposed one on top of another making it necessary to delete one.
As far as the dotted rhythms being superimposed, if you blow up the page to around 300 %, you can actually click on the offending sol-fa note and move it with your arrow keys.

Perhaps these are not ideal solutions, but at least they are possible work-arounds that might save you a little time.

I too have problems with this particular plug in (I need to write more than once sol-fa voice above a single stave) and actually came across the above solutions while I was trying to solve my own problems. Hope they are of some slight help.
I don't have the ability to actually edit the plug-in, but I can be very persistent when looking for ways around problems. :)
When words fail, music speaks.

tnyamful
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by tnyamful » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Please, I have posted on YouTube the first of the series of lessons teaching how to typeset only sol-fa notation with Sibelius application. To access this video, please type the following :"The typesetting of only sol-fa notation with Sibelius application"

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:09 pm

If you want to move all the solfa in one gp, go into panorama mode and use [ctrl][shift]a after selecting one of the pieces of text.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk