Crescendo/descrescendo does not work.

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Whenever I type H or SHIFT+H to create crescendos or decrescendo and press P to play it doesn't happen anything. They appear in the music sheet but they have no effect, I also tried inputting Forte and Piano dynamics to test it but nothing.
Sibelius 7/ PC / 4Gb RAM / Windows 7 Ultimate.

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Use hairpins for crescendo/decrescendo. Select a note where the dynamic starts, hit "L".
Unless you want an accent. That is on the onscreen keypad.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:28 pm

bobp wrote:Use hairpins for crescendo/decrescendo. Select a note where the dynamic starts, hit "L".
Unless you want an accent. That is on the onscreen keypad.
I enter a note in one bar and another in the next one, then clicked the first note, CTRL+E for expression then CTRL+PP. Then clic the second one and enter CTRL+F for forte.
Then I clic the first note and press L and select the hairpin, still, the crescendo does not seem to work, the volume goes from piano and then rightaway a forte.

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:10 pm

I agree that dynamics don't always work as I expect, depending on the voices used.
I just created a treble line piece with three whole notes. Note 1-pp, note 2-ff,note 3-pp with crescendo and decrescendo in between. There was a gradual increase and decrease in volume, but not as much of a change as there would be if I were playing in myself.
I'm note sure why you use ctrl before the dynamic. It just seems to print it in bold, which takes up space.
You can change the volume for dynamics in the dictionary.
What sound are you using where the hairpins don't work. I've noticed that they don't work well in vocals.
Bob Porter

lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:55 pm

bobp wrote:I agree that dynamics don't always work as I expect, depending on the voices used.
I just created a treble line piece with three whole notes. Note 1-pp, note 2-ff,note 3-pp with crescendo and decrescendo in between. There was a gradual increase and decrease in volume, but not as much of a change as there would be if I were playing in myself.
I'm note sure why you use ctrl before the dynamic. It just seems to print it in bold, which takes up space.
You can change the volume for dynamics in the dictionary.
What sound are you using where the hairpins don't work. I've noticed that they don't work well in vocals.
I tried with violins, bassoons and flute but the crescendo does not work in any of them. Indeed, pressing CTRL before a dynamic bolds it but it's done for an aesthetic reason.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:22 pm

Using Ctrl before the dynamic not only boldens it but puts it into the correct font for dynamics, so aesthetics is indeed the reason for using it.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:34 pm

Check the play tab. Turn off Live Playback and Velocities. They cancel written dynamics.
Bob Porter

lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:30 am

Tried turning off Live Playback and velocities, still the same.

I'm creating a tie (I think that's how you call it in english) in which the first note is Piano and then the last one is Forte.
If I erase the tie, the crescendo works but you can hear two separate notes instead of one played long enough.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:09 am

OK, this gives me more to go on. You had not mentioned the tie before. Anything else? My Sibelius computer is out of commission for a day or two for maintenance.
Bob Porter