No Playback Sound in Sibelis 7.5

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
baenzisler
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by baenzisler » Fri May 29, 2015 11:04 am

Hello
I just installed Sibelius 7.5 including the Sound Library (which I installed on an external harddrive).
Unfortunately there are no instrument-sounds playing (exept for the cymbals, which I think is pretty weird).

When I do the "Test" in play/setup/playback devices it doesn't work (no sound)...whether it's Sibelius 7 Sounds or Sibelius 7 lite. General Midi though does work.
I'm sure it's not an Audio Engine Problem (I doublececket everything) also I followed all the steps form this an avid problem-solving article: (It seems that I'm not allowed to post the link here)
By the way, when I open the mixer while in playback mode it shows all the levels from the instruments.

Has anybody an Idea what the problem could be?

Thank you!

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat May 30, 2015 4:55 am

Some things to check...

If you installed from DVDs, make sure you installed sounds from all the discs.
In the Playback Devices window (reached from the Play tab in the ribbon/Settup arrow way on the left) make sure Sibelius Player is active.
Select the Audio Engine button and see which driver is being used. You may need to try different drivers until you find one that works. Sibelius is pretty good at setting all this up automatically, but not always.
We may need to know more about your computer and how you installed Sibelius to help more.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

baenzisler

Post by baenzisler » Sun May 31, 2015 4:59 pm

hello
thank you for your respond.
I got the download version of sibelius (academic edition). The sounds are installed on an external harddrive, everything should be there (size is about 38gb).
Sibelius Player is active. I tried all the possible drivers, none of which work.
Also when I chose "general midi" it sounds.

here are some specs about my computer:
iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core i5
20GB RAM
OS X 10.8

baenzisler

Post by baenzisler » Sun May 31, 2015 5:41 pm

I now moved the library again to the standart place on the computer (Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Sibelius Software)
and it seems to work now.
When I move it back to my external HD it doesn't work again...Why can't I have the library on a external harddrive? Is the connection to slow?

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:08 am

If your external drive is usb, then it wouldn't surprise me that it is too slow. Though I don't know that for sure. Fire wire might not be fast enough either.
What surprises me is that the sounds worked after moving them to the same drive as Sibelius. Unless you reinstalled completely.
If you install the sounds on a different drive, Sibelius should ask you where they are on first start up.
Sounds for an orchestra piece can take 8 minutes or so to load. That why I built a computer to do music an video work with an SSD. Everything on one drive and sounds load in half the time.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop