Problem with ASIO

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
SibeliusAttempter
Sibelius Version: 8.6.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by SibeliusAttempter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:47 pm

playback.png
Playback options
playback.png (193.65 KiB) Viewed 21729 times
audio engine options.png
Audio engine options
audio engine options.png (7.43 KiB) Viewed 21729 times
So when I try to get ASIO activated, I have no sound. I don't know if ASIO is supposed to show up in the Playback Options, but it's not showing up. Attached are pictures of the audio engine option settings. Has anyone had this problem?

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:21 am

As I recall, you also must select ASIO Setup....

There are some more hoops to jump through there.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

SibeliusAttempter

Post by SibeliusAttempter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:44 am

Sure. Here's what it says on the ASIO options
Attachments
asio4all.png
asio4all.png (12.57 KiB) Viewed 21715 times

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:16 am

It's been a long time since I used ASIO. There are some other settings you need to work with. You might need to go to the ASIO website to figure out what some of those things you see in options, mean. As I recall, I just tried checking things until something worked. Maybe not the best approach.
Bob Porter

SibeliusAttempter

Post by SibeliusAttempter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:54 am

Ok, that didn't work. Anyone else have any insights?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:59 am

From the screenshots, its doesn't look like you've installed any sounds, such as Sibelius's own sounds, or third party sounds like Note Performer.

ASIO doesn't work with the computer's own sounds, like the GS Wavetable set.

If you have installed Sibelius sounds, set up a configuration that uses it, then try using ASIO4ALL.

Do remember that ASIO4ALL is not a universal 'cure', it sometimes just doesn't work. While you're at it, make sure that you update the drivers for the Realtek Audio to the latest version. Do not believe what your operating system tells you, go to the Realtek site and update from there.

If none of this works, then if you want to use high quality sounds rather than the GS wavetable set, then you'll have to buy a proper ASIO capable soundcard, either internally fitted or USB connected.

SibeliusAttempter

Post by SibeliusAttempter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 am

Ok - can you install those sounds on the trial version (which is what I've got)?

SibeliusAttempter

Post by SibeliusAttempter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:23 am

I've looked up how to download it and it says you should be able to via your Avid account. I don't have such a thing. They never gave me one with the download.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:34 pm

No you can't add the sounds to the trial version. You get an Avid account when you buy the full product. You then have access to the app and the sounds whenever you should need to download them.

So your configuration must not use ASIO4ALL. Use the GS wavetable set and your soundchip's own audio driver (or perhaps the one in Windows).

The point of the trial version is simply to see how you like the way that Sibelius works, not to allow you to make high quality music for free! Explore Sibelius, find out if you're comfortable with the way you input the notes etc, get the layout to your taste and produce a good looking score. Playback on GS will be sufficient to judge what's what. If you like the way Sibelius handles, then start the monthly subscriptions and enjoy!

SibeliusAttempter

Post by SibeliusAttempter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 am

Hmm, that seems a little shortsighted of Sibelius/Avid - the whole point of the trial is for me to find out if I'm going to have any luck using Sibelius, which includes note input from my MIDI keyboard. The usual sound driver has delay problems. So people said install ASIO. I did that. And now I'm told that I can't use it with my MIDI keyboard because I can't get Sibelius Sounds.... I have no way of finding out for sure if it's going to work when I download the full version.

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:27 am

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your keyboard.
Bob Porter