Lagging and slow response in 8

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
drummerboyfarr
Sibelius Version: 8.7.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by drummerboyfarr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:33 pm

OK, so I upgraded to 8.7 and although my computer specs are top notch, Sibelius is reacting so slowly it´s driving me nuts!
Hope someone can help..

Describing the issue:
Everything seems to be working well. Very stable, no crashes.
I´m currently working on the layout of a fairly large score and it´s parts and every time I adjust a staves height, or move a tempo marking I have to wait 3-6 seconds for the Apple wheel to stop spinning and the score to be updated before I can keep working.

Is there anything I can do? Anything I can tweak in preferences or anything?

Thanks,
Craig

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:26 pm

I'm not sure if there is much help for you. It has been documented that newer versions of Sibelius have problems with large scores on Macs.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

drummerboyfarr

Post by drummerboyfarr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 pm

bobp wrote:I'm not sure if there is much help for you. It has been documented that newer versions of Sibelius have problems with large scores on Macs.
Damn!
Dorico here I come then..
:evil:

drummerboyfarr

Post by drummerboyfarr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:28 pm

I mean, it feels like it would be quicker to write the whole 20 minute score and all thirty parts by hand and then scan them..!

If it is the case that larger scores are an issue in Sibelius they can't seriously compete in the modern world can they?

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Well, there could be other mitigating circumstances. I haven't heard that all macs have problems with large scores. Or how large a score has to be to have problems. Any computer with less than a multi-core processor and 8 gb of ram is going to have problems. 16 gb of ram ( or more) is even better. An SSD helps even more.
Bob Porter

drummerboyfarr

Post by drummerboyfarr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Well, i´ve got 64gb of ram so that obviously isn´t the issue.
Could it be the location of my stored files, or settings or something like that?

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:26 am

Ah, you say "location of my stored files" like it might mean something.
When I built a computer to run Sibelius, video editing and the one game I play, I got the best stuff my very limited budget could afford. As far as Sibelius goes, the program and the sounds (as well as the OS) are all on the same SSD. The only thing that is on an HDD is the scores folder. The software and the sounds ( and the OS ) are on the same solid state drive because there needs to be as fast interaction between them as possible. My computer boots to the desktop in less than 17 seconds. I don't write for full orchestra, but more a classical sized orchestra. The sounds load in less than a minute. Granted, articulations add to that time.
Lag time while Sibelius is running might have more to do with the sound card. The one in your mac is probably an on board type.
Also, the number of things you have running at one time can hurt performance. Do you have a browser open, how about iTunes, or email. How many programs do you have open at one time. At any one time there are several things looking for, and/or trying to update. those things don't take ram, they take cpu power. My wife has a macbook pro for work. She's had it for a year. It's already running so slow that she has to send it in to the company she works for to have it re-imaged.
My advice is to close everything. Turn off everything you don't need. If you can figure out how to turn off auto updating, great. Run a built in disk utility called First Aid ( on newer macs ) or Restore Permissions ( on older macs). Then reboot. I hope you reboot every day. You might consider closing everything in the taskbar along the bottom of the screen. Then open your score in Sibelius and see what happens.
Good luck.
Bob Porter

drummerboyfarr

Post by drummerboyfarr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 pm

I use an external sound card, an UAD Apollo via thunderbolt.

I tried closing all other apps, turning off wifi, using the computers internal sound card. Makes no difference whatsoever.

Playback btw. works a treat. As does launching Sibelius and opening files.
So it´s just when adjusting layout. The spinning wheel starts after almost every adjustment and I have to wait up to ten seconds before the adjustment manifests!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:30 am

Do you work with the inspector open? Doing so causes Sibelius to run slowly on PCs. It could have the same effect on macs when editing
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:44 am

In addition to the advice here, you'll probably find a lot more answers on the official Sibelius Chat Pages. If you haven't already asked there, then do!

drummerboyfarr

Post by drummerboyfarr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:37 pm

OK, thanks!

I dou usually have inspector open.. will try without.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:53 pm

I never considered leaving the inspector open all the time. I can see how it would slow things down.
Bob Porter

drummerboyfarr

Post by drummerboyfarr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:45 pm

MikeLyons wrote:Do you work with the inspector open? Doing so causes Sibelius to run slowly on PCs. It could have the same effect on macs when editing
Wow! Solution! Turning off the Inspector made all the difference. Thank you so much!
Life saver..!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Been there, done that, felt like an idiot for not realising! :D

It's better in 8.7.2 than it was in earlier 8, but it does still slow things down.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Excellent. Glad that it wasn't that you're on a mac. I use the inspector all the time, but I invoke it when I need it. I don't even know how to use it when I need it if it's already up. And don't really want to. Cause I might be tempted.
Bob Porter