Creating new sections/movements

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
tangotango
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Mac

Post by tangotango » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:15 pm

Hello!

I'm using Siblius 7.1.3. I have a section with final barlines at the end and it is marked as end of section. I want to create a new section with the same instrument. I would like this second section to be independent of the first section, appear below the first section as a separate piece or section and the barlines for this second section will reset to 1. If possible I would like section 1 to play and stop at the final barline at the end of the section and not pay through to section 2.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

TT

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:06 pm

I hate to send you to the manual, but it really is the easiest way to go.

First, look up "Movements". You may have figured out this out already. I don't think playback will stop completely. After each movement.

So may have to create each movement as a separate piece. After all are written, look up "Splitting and joining scores". This is probably more what you want.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Dano
Sibelius Version: 2018.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Dano » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:05 pm

I'd like to do this too, but in Sibelius 2018.4 ... when I search "Movements" in the manual, there is nothing about defining a new section or resetting bar lines.

If I search "splitting and joining scores" nothing is there at all.

Has this all been changed in recent Sibelius? Any ideas how to go about defining a new movement within a score?

Thanks!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 am

Mark the final bar of the first movement as "End of section" in the inspector
Put a final barline at the end of it.
Put a page or system break on the final barline.

Select the next bar and create a"Gap before" of about 4 spaces in the inspector
Using the ribbon, Set Appearance-->Instrument names--> At New Section to be Full
Set the first bar number of the new movement to 1 and hide it.

If your new section starts on a new page, drag the top staff down and put a new title attached to its first bar. If you used a system break (for something like chamber music you might not want ewach movement to start on a new page) drag the first system of the new movement down to make space for a title and use title text to place it where you want, again attached to the first bar of the new movement.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

musicampo

Post by musicampo » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:24 pm

MikeLyons wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 am
Mark the final bar of the first movement as "End of section" in the inspector
Put a final barline at the end of it.
Put a page or system break on the final barline.

Select the next bar and create a"Gap before" of about 4 spaces in the inspector
Using the ribbon, Set Appearance-->Instrument names--> At New Section to be Full
Set the first bar number of the new movement to 1 and hide it.

If your new section starts on a new page, drag the top staff down and put a new title attached to its first bar. If you used a system break (for something like chamber music you might not want ewach movement to start on a new page) drag the first system of the new movement down to make space for a title and use title text to place it where you want, again attached to the first bar of the new movement.
Fantastic!
Thanks for this answer.
But just one thing:
First at all, I would clarify that the barline should be simple or normal and never an end barline or of any other type because, if not, the End of section option does not appear in the Inspector.

I already know that you have specified in the second step the need to put a final barline, but since the steps are usually to be read sequentially and I already had a final barline before reading your answer, I went crazy because that option didn't appear and I finally solved by selecting the whole bar (and then the option also appeared)

Thanks again!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:50 pm

Sorry for the mislead. I was typing on auto. I had never really thought about the final barline behaving differently to the others and, in any case, in my mind I just always select the bar.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk