Can't get rid of the click sound

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
digituner
Sibelius Version: Sibelius 8
Operating System: Windows

Post by digituner » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:12 am

Hi everyone,
I turned off the "Automatically allocate slot for click track" option on Playback page in Preferences, muted the click track in the mixer, and set its volume to zero. None of them worked. When I playback a score, or export MIDI from a score, the click sound (low wood) can clearly be heard.

Is there a way to turn off the click track? Or better, get rid of it? :roll:

BTW I am on Win7 64bit, using default settings (General MIDI, Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth).

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Check this is off!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

digituner

Post by digituner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:46 am

Yeah Mike, that was off.

I don't understand why Sibelius insists on awarding us this click track?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:10 am

Other thing, is the click track fully Muted in the mixer? It can be half muted.

It's there because it's useful when recording.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

digituner

Post by digituner » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:53 am

MikeLyons wrote:It's there because it's useful when recording.
Then I am disappointed. A designed feature (the mute button on click track, at least) should work. I think it should be an easy fix for the Sibelius team. Better yet if it allows us to remove the click track.

I even went to the length of finding settings in the registray of Windows with no avail.

I can't get "clean" MIDI output presently. Am I the only one who has this issue?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:52 pm

1) If you're using Sibelius as a DAW, to create MIDI files for example, you'll be very disappointed. It's not what it was designed for.
2) If you're using Flexitime input to create notated scores, then do a google search for "Taming the Flexitime Beast", as it will help!
3) Define 'clean MIDI output'. What's the problem?

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:41 pm

All the times I've installed Sibelius, the click track has always been muted by default.

What happens if you start a new score of piano music and put in one whole note. Do you get the click track then?

And make sure, as Mike said, that the track is fully muted. Takes two clicks.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

digituner

Post by digituner » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:50 am

Thanks guys!

I am using v8.2 and the click track can't be half muted, only the instrument can be half muted. It is on/off kinda switch. Yeah Bob I tried a new piano score with one whole note. I set the piano as solo, (fully) muted the click track and set its volume to zero. When I played the note I got the low woodblock click sound, just one blow at the very start.

"clean MIDI output", Andy, means just the music in the score, nothing else, no click sound especially. BTW I like the (chromatic) harmonica sound coming out of the default General MIDI configuration.

I am thinking if the MIDI doesn't include a click track, this problem will disappear. Right?

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Drat, You're right. Click track is on or off. I've never had a problem with the click track, or used it. Or used GM for that matter. I have to ask, why are you using it? There are many limitations on GM in Sibelius.

Here's something else. In the mixer you should be able to select the metronome icon at the top of the click track and change the sound of the clicks. If not, it might point to a problem with your installation of Sibelius. And I'm sure you have SP1 for Windows 7.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

digituner

Post by digituner » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:28 am

Turns out you are right Bob. When I changed the sound of the clicks in the metronome to something else and I still got the low woodblock kinda sound clicks. So this confirms that Sibelius is not the problem. The problem might relate to my sound card which I know is low quality and doesn't support ASIO out of factory.

I switched to VST now and everything works fine.

Thanks everyone. Happy composing!