Ossia staff messes up my lyrics formatting

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
DianaDiazSing
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Windows

Post by DianaDiazSing » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:02 am

I seem to be having the worst problems, and ones it feels like no one else worries about.

I made a leadsheet. (Yes, melody with chord markings above. I know what this is.)
Added an ossia, and it totally messed up my lyrics formatting which is perfect.

How can I add another staff to my leadsheet without this shite happening? It's an unending drama creating a leadsheet by extracting parts from a Photoscore upload. There is a nice piano part that I want played for some of this. I know, not a true leadsheet, but if ossia will jack up my otherwise perfect formatting, I'm not a fan. And this happens even when I put a page break. The page break leaves the formatting just fine, but as soon as I put this ossia, it's a mess.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:00 am

OK, take a chill pill. You are expecting answers from a user forum instantly? Never gonna happen! (unless, maybe, you try either the 'official' forums or the FB pages.

See my earlier answers. Do not add an ossia, add a new staff/instrument. In fact, go back to the photoscore scan (you DID save the .opt file?)

At least 3/4 of your issues are to do with not making sure the staves are correctly allocated before porting to Sib.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Diana,
There are different kinds of lead sheets. I just wanted to make sure we where talking about the same thing. No offence.
One way to retain some of the piano part would be to keep the whole thing. In Sibelius, delete the parts you don't want and then hide empty staffs. You should have been able to re-add chord symbols and not guitar charts. Maybe next time.
Free photoscore does not transfer any text.
I can't think of anything that is intuitive about Sibelius. We've all spent a lot of time in the manual and asking questions. Remember, a computer doesn't think the same way you do. And it's British. They don't even call a quarter note a quarter note :D
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

DianaDiazSing

Post by DianaDiazSing » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:47 pm

I am getting lyrics transferring right now. It isn't always perfect. I thought I would try the sample program before I spent $900...

DianaDiazSing

Post by DianaDiazSing » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:50 pm

MikeLyons wrote:OK, take a chill pill.
Xanax, please! :lol:

DianaDiazSing

Post by DianaDiazSing » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:55 pm

bobp wrote:Diana,
There are different kinds of lead sheets. I just wanted to make sure we where talking about the same thing. No offence.
SIngers have deep psychological issues...
I'm already having anxiety with an accompanist who is the most allergic to page turns I have ever seen. He actually announced "page turn" in the middle of a song with an audience!! Which I take as a passive-agressive jab because who does that?? So I have to get everything onto 1-2 pages with no page turns or deal with the same unmusical embarrassments. He already criticizes me for not lowering my keys. Grr. That Xanax would come in very handy now.

stevenedis
Sibelius Version: 6.2

Post by stevenedis » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:27 pm

Time for a new accompanist.

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48 am

bobp wrote: I can't think of anything that is intuitive about Sibelius. We've all spent a lot of time in the manual and asking questions. Remember, a computer doesn't think the same way you do. And it's British. They don't even call a quarter note a quarter note :D
I have to say, for the first time ever, I couldn't disagree with you more about Sibelius, Bob. I have been with Sibelius since Sib 2 or 3 (and I also had a play with The original Acorn Sibelius) and always found it very intuitive. Unlike Finale, which lets you do totally incorrect things without warning.

When the new UI arrived, I found some of the changes very unhelpful and I've never been fond of the ribbon, but the rest of it is childs play compared to some of the shennanigans you have to get up to in Finale to do anything - even simple things.

Reading the manual is essential. It's a pity someone else has re-written it since version 7. The original Version (3 - 6) manuals were written in a very informal but thorough style that made it seem like you were having a conversation with the program. I still have paper copies.

As for nomenclature, we've been calling notes by their proper namres for over 1000 years. It ain't our fault you lot went for the baby names! :-D
Last edited by MikeLyons on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:39 pm

It's all good, Mike.
I don't get the metric system either. Although I had to use it in the violin shop I worked at.
I've only been using Sibelius since V 4. I have a vague memory of speaking on the phone with one of the Finn brothers about a registration problem. I hear Finale users have similar complaints about Sibelius.
I'm glad you hang out here, because I learn something every time you post. I would only classify myself as a "recreational" user. At least we agree on Windows.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:01 am

It's always nice to have company, Bob. This would be a very lonely place, these days without you here.

DianaDiazSing

Post by DianaDiazSing » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:01 pm

stevenedis wrote:Time for a new accompanist.
Yep. Ironically, I just received word that he is moving out of my state literally just last night, so it won't be an issue except for today and tomorrow when I last work with him. In any case, I do want to make good enough lead sheets that present with no page turns since I doubt he's the only one of his kind.

DianaDiazSing

Post by DianaDiazSing » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:05 pm

So...back to these ossias. I did end up using a few measures because I couldn't figure out how else to do it. my question now is this...
Why on earth does it have the ossias as if they are in C and then take up valuable space with indicating a key change? Don't most people want an ossia in the same key as everything else? I am still trying to figure out how to add an instrument. :oops:

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:28 pm

OK. IMHO you are mis-using the term ossia. Ossia means "Instead". It is a small, usually single bar, staff above or below an ornament that shows how the composer or editor wants the bar(s) to be played.

What you SEEM to be talking about is either a prefaratory staff (staves) or a piano introduction before the voice comes in. Please let me have sight of the original pdf.

DianaDiazSing

Post by DianaDiazSing » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 am

MikeLyons wrote:OK. IMHO you are mis-using the term ossia. Ossia means "Instead". It is a small, usually single bar, staff above or below an ornament that shows how the composer or editor wants the bar(s) to be played.

What you SEEM to be talking about is either a prefaratory staff (staves) or a piano introduction before the voice comes in. Please let me have sight of the original pdf.
I'm not at all misusing the terms. I'm talking about both actually. When I click on ossia it gives me an extra staff. I need an extra line to have piano accompaniment for a few bars because my accompanist doesn't really know some of these songs. So whenever I click on that, it gives me a bar in C. If I change the key, it does give a prefaratory staff which I don't want there. I just want to notate the same key as the rest of the song, no prefaratory anything needed. I made it work for one of the songs because it fit C for those few measures, even though it was in G. Since it never hit the F#, it worked out.

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:22 am

OK. You obviously seem to like making extra work for yourself. :-D

If you change your mind, let me know and I'll help you to do it the right (easier) way!