altered guitar tuning in Sibelius First?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
hakwright

Post by hakwright » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm using Sibelius First and would like to know if I can notate guitar tablature for guitars that use non-standard tunings. I've seen questions on defining guitar tunings dealt with elsewhere on the forums, but I can't find the suggested options in Sibelius First. Is it possible to define non-standard guitar (or bass) tunings in Sibelius First?

thanks,

Howard

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:13 am

hakwright wrote:Is it possible to define non-standard guitar (or bass) tunings in Sibelius First?
. .
My impression is that the only way to use non-standard tunings in Sibelius First is to get someone with the full version of Sibelius to send you a score containing an instrument with that tuning. Save the score, and then use it as a template for other pieces (but don't lose the original).

(Sibelius First will read and edit scores from other versions of Sibelius, and some of the various limitations of Sibelius First only apply to scores you start yourself.)

If you don't know anyone with the full version of Sibelius ask on one of the forums — some kind soul might put up a score with the tuning you need, and you can download it.

Since I've never done this myself, you might try to download the attached fragment and see if you can use it in Sibelius First.
Attachments
DropD.zip
See if this works . . .
(30.52 KiB) Downloaded 587 times

hakwright

Post by hakwright » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:27 pm

Sebasian, thanks a lot for your help and the attached file.

After opening the drop D file in Sibelius First, I tried adding a few chords using the bottom D string (i.e. the string that's not at standard tuning) as your chords didn't use this bottom note. After doing this the low D notes show up in red i.e. out of range, so it seems as if Sibelius First hasn't understood the altered tuning - or have I missed something?

I also tried using the Drop D score as a basis for new scores. I can't seem to use it as a template - the only template options in Sibelius First seem to be with pre-defined templates (Jazz, Rock, Classical etc), I can't find a way to define a new template from an existing score. So all I could do is copy/paste the staves into a new score, and again it couldn't understand the open low D string notes (question marks on the tab, red notes in the notation).

So it looks like even using existing scores with altered tunings, it doesn't really work in Sibelius First. Any other thoughts welcome in case there might be other ways to do this.

It's a shame, as I do a lot of work in altered guitar tunings, but I don't think I can afford to pay 5 times as much for the full product - I was hoping to be able to do this in Sib First.

Thanks for any other suggestions.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:37 am

hakwright wrote:. . . the low D notes show up in red i.e. out of range . . .
Sibelius First doesn't allow for other tunings, and so has the out-of-range warning fixedas the bottom E. It's only a warning, and shouldn't affect the score — if the notes sound, then they aren't really out of range.
hakwright also wrote: . . .I can't seem to use it as a template . . .
I don't know if Sibelius First will allow File > Export > as Manuscript paper (I expect not).

In this case, make a secure copy of any scores you might obtain which have the tunings you want. Make a copy of the score and alter it to make any new score you need. Just be careful with filenames! I'd advise making a secure backup of these score in a directory Sibelius won't look in, so you can't write all over or destroy the original score.

I know it's a bit of a hassle, but until you can save up for the upgrade to the full version of Sibelius it's what you probably have to do. (Actually, I'm still not sure if you can upgrade from First to the full version. There was some discussion of this on the official Sibelius chat page but I can't remember what the outcome was).

hakwright

Post by hakwright » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Yes, the bottom E plays back OK so I guess I can ignore the red highlighting (I haven't tried printing it out, but I assume the red highlighted notes print out normally in black).

Thanks for the suggestions. It's not ideal, but keeping some safe copies of altered tuning scores to use as starting points is a reasonable way to do things in Sibelius First. Assuming I can get some kind folk on these forums to send me some simple altered tuning scores to use as a starting point! I'll post again if I need some of these...

JayMack

Post by JayMack » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:48 pm

Thank you very much for providing the Drop D file to SibFirst users. It's a real shame that SB can't handle alternate tunings for guitar --a very basic feature.

I'm new to the forum; I don't see a general repository for useful files. Is there one?

Guitarists could use some template files for the most common alternate tunings. Right now, I need DGDGBE (preferably with bar numbering disabled).

I know that others could use DADGAD.

cheers, jay

Robin
Sibelius Version: 7 first
Operating System: Windows

Post by Robin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:37 am

Hi

I am using Sibelius 7 First as well and i was wondering if someone would be so kind to provide me a score with a Drop D tuned Bass tabs?

thx a lot,

Robin

jongtr
Sibelius Version: first

Post by jongtr » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:56 am

Robin wrote:Hi

I am using Sibelius 7 First as well and i was wondering if someone would be so kind to provide me a score with a Drop D tuned Bass tabs?
Do you mean for bass guitar (4-string)?

jongtr
Sibelius Version: first

Post by jongtr » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:41 am

Somewhat late reply to this thread, but - for general information - I just discovered that Sibelius First - my current version anyway - does provide alternate guitar tunings.
On the Add Instruments window, on 'Choose from' drop down menu, choose 'Rock and Pop Instruments'. All the guitars there feature drop D, double drop D, open G, open E, open D, and DADGAD.
Unfortunately there is no option for 'no rhythms',which I'd find useful. And still no way of assigning your own tunings.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Might I suggest that, if you want the custom tuning and other features, you buy the full version, or perhaps the version now known just as Sibelius, rather than expect these in the free version!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

FastEddie
Sibelius Version: 8.7.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by FastEddie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:31 pm

I have the paid full version of Sibelius First 8.7.2 and am unable to write any music with with drop D tuning. Unfortunately I spent 10 hours yesterday trying to do this but was not successful. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Not inclined to spend more $$$ for this capability.

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:55 am

Did you select the guitar with that tuning from the instruments list when you set up the score?

Start with a plank page and select Add Instruments from the ribbon. Look in guitars.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop