MIDI Input Issues in Sibelius First

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
amp2020
Sibelius Version: First
Operating System: Windows

Post by amp2020 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:49 pm

So I've been going absolutely crazy trying to figure this out the past few days, and am hoping someone here can help me out!

I am using Sibelius First and trying to do the Flexi-time recording (which, if I understand correctly, is supposed to "live capture" both pitch and duration of MIDI inputs and transcribe).

There are two major problems I am having:
1) there is a significant delay between me pushing a key on my MIDI keyboard and Sibelius registering the note / playing it back
2) the notation looks INSANE. The note duration varies but it is mostly 16ths with a bunch of crazy slurs and rests mixed in (even when I play a slow, steady quarter-note progression).

I looked at some other forum posts and have tried looking at the audio engine driver settings, but I can't edit them at all - all of the fields are "grayed out" and not accessible / responsive. The only one that LOOKS like I can click on it is the button that says "ASIO Setup..." but nothing happens when I do click on it.

Can anyone help me figure out what the heck is going on?? I just want to make a simple vocal arrangement!

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:13 pm

The new Sibelius First is so dumbed down that it is hardly worth trying to figure out how to use it.
But, in general, make sure your midi keyboard has the latest drivers and is connected correctly. Check the manual for how to configure things.
It may be that you will need to enter notes with the mouse. Not as hard as it might seem.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:47 pm

I can practically guarantee that there will ALWAYS be latency. If, like me, you are a poor keyboard player, you will actually find it easier to use flexi-time than if you are a good player. As bobp says, it is usually quicker and easier to use step time or to just type it in by hand.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:09 pm

You could also read this article: https://www.scoringnotes.com/tips/tamin ... ncy-beast/

But I concur, it's usually faster to input manually than to use Flexitime and then do all the corrections.