Tutorial questions

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
GeorgeWV
Sibelius Version: SibeliusFirst
Operating System: Windows

Post by GeorgeWV » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:18 pm

Hello, I'm very new. I'm trying to work through the tutorial.
I'm at a section on the ribbon called Layout.
The tutorial asks that I go from Layout to Hiding Staves > Focus on Staves
There is no Focus on Staves.
There is Hide empty Staves and Show empty Staves
When I used the shortcut of: Control + Alt + F, I then printed. And the strings printed out.

I also printed from the File Tab as I didn't have an "Edit Versions" in the ribbon when I chose Review, and above "versions" is New Version, Previous Version and Next Version.
I clicked on each to see if "Edit Versions" was there, but no.
Have I missed something?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:18 am

If you are not using Sib Ultimate (ie just Sibelius or sibelius first, you will find many such features missing.

You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:01 pm

And when you don't pay for it - Sibelius First - you get so little that it almost isn't worth not paying for it.

Even Sibelius (ex Sibelius First) is so stripped down, it makes you wonder about whether it's worth it too.

GeorgeWV

Post by GeorgeWV » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:23 pm

Hello Mikel lyons and andyg,

Thank you for your reply. This saved me a ton of time trying to figure out or learn how to use the program.
I downloaded the First in order to see if it would do what I need such a program to do.
I've begun composing songs. Dance songs, concert songs, sad songs, etc.
I like Latin Rock and Salsa, (I played in bands with a great deal of Latin Rock, Funk, dance and entertainment music.)
I'm looking for a program that will produce a score that the musicians in the current band I'm in will be able to understand adequately.
I want to be able to input, using a keyboard or other instruments, melodies and chords and put lyrics to it.
Apparently the introduction Sibelius First isn't going to allow that too well, so far, that I have found out.
So, how can I find out?
If you guys are up to it, could you tell me from your experience, if this program will fulfill what I need. I could use a good overall opinion of Sibelius.
I could go to the next level up and purchase something from Sibelius and find out that I can't do certain things, (and bare in mind, I don't know much if anything about this program because I can't find out through the tutorials I'm trying to plow through right now). I'm hoping that people who are musicians could give me their assessment about this program. Tell me if I could put together a score without too much trouble. I'm going to see what I can get out of the tutorials and work my way up to seeing if the program will do what I need it to do. Right now, I can't tell. Any help in understanding this product will be greatly appreciated!

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:49 pm

The full version of Sibelius Ultimate, while it does have its quirks and some long-standing and much-requested bug fixes are needed it is still, IMHO, one of the best notation programs around. If you can afford it, get it. I've been using it for a long, long time and I don't regret it.

Dorico has the makings of a great program, but it is still in its very early days. Might be OK for you if you are a new composer as you can grow with it, rather than having to get used to its already well-entrnched quirks!

I wouldn't touch finale with a bent stick.

If you want a free program that will do much pf what you want, you could do worse than MuseScore. It is obviously not as fully featured as Sib, but it is much more fully featured than either Sib First or plain Sib (which used to be called Sib First!)

Avid, the company that own the Sibelius brand are, basically, carp. However, the program is still good.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

GeorgeWV

Post by GeorgeWV » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Thank you Mikel Lyons,

Some good data. I take it that tech support might be lacking a little at Avid?

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:50 am

That depends entirely on what help you need.
The tech team, in general are really good, hard-working people. It's just the company they work for is awful. As an example the recent double name changes for no better reason than to bring Sibelius in line with pro-tools. It was - and still is - extremely confusing for people. And pointless.

Sacking the original Sibelius team is something for which I, personally, will never forgive them. Daniel and his team were the bee's knees as they had helped design Sibelius from the beginning and they responded to user feedback very, very quickly. With Avid, you sometimes feel your requests just vanish into the corporate machine.

At least 2 CEOs have been sacked for diddling the company or its books.

LeesKeys
Sibelius Version: First

Post by LeesKeys » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:38 pm

It would be helpful for tutorials to designate at the outset which version of Sibelius each applies to. I'm learning Sibelius First, strictly a piano player wanting to get some improv thoughts down on "paper", and will never have a need for anything more complex.

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 pm

I suspect most of the tutorials will deal with the full 'ultimate' version of Sib. What's the point of writing a tutorial for a program with half its innards missing?

MikaVap
Sibelius Version: yes

Post by MikaVap » Sat May 18, 2019 10:08 am

Does anyone know of a decent tutorial on programming in mode 0 for the gba. The one I was using was removed.