Remove 'breaths' from winds playback?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
ihcob
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by ihcob » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:11 am

I notice that the Sib. playback won't hold a tied note in the winds for very long, it presumably assumes the player would be out of air and cuts off the note. However, it does so long before a professional player would actually have to end the note. Is there a way to disable this playback feature so that sib. simply plays the long sustained wind notes as written? Cheers for any help!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:41 pm

It shouldn't really be doing this.
My winds play full length notes unless I get really silly.

Usually, these things are the result of limitations of the sampled sounds and how they are looped, but Sib sounds don't suffer in this way.

Have you applied (or do you have the latest update to) the Sib sounds? If you have an earlier version, it could be that the bass clarinet glitch is messing up your playback. It will do this regardless of whether there is an actual bass clarinet part in the score. Applying the patch may solve your issue.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

ihcob
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by ihcob » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Hmmm not sure - I'll sign into the Avid site and see... Maybe my computer/CPU itself is being overloaded? I also have this other problem that sometimes a note is just sustained ad infinitum! once it starts, it just keeps on going... And this is only happening when I 'export' audio, it seems to be okay when I play within the software... But the shortened wind tones is pretty damn annoying... Also, I'm using 7.5 if that means anything.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:38 pm

The problem of the B. C. patch occurred in version 7.1 up to 7.5 of the sib sounds, so that might be it.

Hanging notes is usually the result of having hanging ties or L.V. not set up properly.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk