Format notes

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
eppalex
Sibelius Version: First
Operating System: Windows

Post by eppalex » Thu May 02, 2019 7:33 am

If you have a sheet of paper, and with layout is done. Jump the notes back and forth when making a small change. Does Sibelius function fix the notes so that they do not do that anymore? I know many musicians who do not change to Sibelius because that disturbs the constant jumping.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Thu May 02, 2019 8:35 am

It's not easy to understand, as English is obviously not your native language. But I assume that you don't like the fact that Sibelius reformats pages, systems etc when you make changes. That is how it is designed to work! It's not really a problem once you know what to do and how the app works.

1) Get everything correct in your score, let Sibelius do the formatting. It usually does things quite well.
2) When you have finished inputting and correcting all the notes, then do the formatting that you want, overriding what Sibelius wants to do - if you think you can do a better job, or if you have specific layout requirements.
3) There is a 'Lock Format' function, and you can use that to freeze things. Note that this does then allow you to do some 'bad' things, like too many bars or notes in a system!

Read through the Sibelius Reference where it deals with Layout and Format for much more information.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu May 02, 2019 4:25 pm

Just to add to what Andy has said, have you tried working with panorama mode? There is less jumping about than with page view.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

eppalex

Post by eppalex » Thu May 02, 2019 8:42 pm

I just wanted to show what I mean, that was my first notebook with Sibelius.

If I have created the song and corrected everything then there is in Sibelius "lock format" function, but the notes in bars just jump on and the words get mixed up when I change a note or chord and dam I have to do everything by hand again. Is there a function in Sibelius that does not jump the notes in bars?
I can not work in panorama mode, because I have to have layout for eyes.
Attachments
001_Seite_2.jpg
001_Seite_2.jpg (159.29 KiB) Viewed 5599 times

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 pm

Hi,

I muust be really stupid because it looks fine to me. Is it something to do with the lyrics? I don't understand Russian, but it looks like a chorale or orthodox hymn tune to me? As far as I can tell, all the lyrics are correctly lined up with the notes, except for those on the tied notes which probably need a continuation line.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

eppalex

Post by eppalex » Fri May 03, 2019 5:35 am

That was the original, now I've moved notes and more and the layout has become so. Sheet music jump in bars.
Attachments
001_0002.png
001_0002.png (165.13 KiB) Viewed 5587 times

eppalex

Post by eppalex » Sat May 04, 2019 7:04 am

If you make a small change then the notes jump in bars. I know musicians who work with "Encore" and do not want to change in Sibelius because they say in Sibelius you can not "freeze" the notes in bars. And for me it fell work with layout. And one more thing: I work with the creation of music books and every song where two or more pages are included, I have to turn off page numberer Manuel. Is it possible in Sibelius to do such a function by default that you can switch it off completely?

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat May 04, 2019 11:58 pm

I think you ar going to point out the differences between the two attachments.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun May 05, 2019 8:22 pm

And you don't seem to be listening to us, or more likely you're understanding what we are telling you. If so, then that's fine, we know that English is not your first language!

You are complaining because Sibelius is altering the formatting when you change things. We already said that that is just how Sibelius works. Read my post again and get EVERYTHING 100% RIGHT, and then think about formatting and layout.

Apart from spacing, which I think looks better on the second version, are there any other changes taking place?