Accidentals not showing when notes switch staves

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
sugarpantsjiff
Sibelius Version: 2019.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by sugarpantsjiff » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:20 pm

I have a piece for grand staff marimba, which I originally wrote all on one staff and proceeded to split notes between the staves as appropriate for readability:
However, the original music looked like this:
The accidentals in the original music did not carry over. The fourth note should be an Fnatural, but because of the way the accidentals are written, in the split version it looks like an Fsharp. Is this a bug or is there a way to fix this? On the keypad it shows the Fnatural in the first image has the natural symbol applied.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Please tell us which version of Sibelius on what OS you are using. Also, what method do you use to input notes? Did you get this sore into Sibelius with PhotoScore?
I just tried this using the same notes you did and everything worked fine. I input notes with a mouse.
I entered notes in a treble staff then pasted them into a base staff. All accidentals copied over.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Bob, they aren't copy/pasted, they are cross staff notes. I can confirm that this happens.

To the OP. Why do you need to cross staff the notes? Maybe just copy/paste.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

sugarpantsjiff
Sibelius Version: 2019.1

Post by sugarpantsjiff » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:48 pm

bobp wrote:Please tell us which version of Sibelius on what OS you are using. Also, what method do you use to input notes? Did you get this sore into Sibelius with PhotoScore?
I just tried this using the same notes you did and everything worked fine. I input notes with a mouse.
I entered notes in a treble staff then pasted them into a base staff. All accidentals copied over.
I used a MIDI keyboard to input notes. Version 2019.1, Windows 10.
MikeLyons wrote:Bob, they aren't copy/pasted, they are cross staff notes. I can confirm that this happens.

To the OP. Why do you need to cross staff the notes? Maybe just copy/paste.
I cross staffed it for convenience, mostly. This is a transcription, so I just input the notes as I was hearing them, then I went back and changed the staff. It was faster to just do a quick ctrl-alt-down than going through and copy-pasting everything. I can just copy-paste the notes but it seems like this is a bug that should be fixed within Sibelius. Accidentals shouldn't just disappear like that.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:06 am

This is a recently introduced 'feature'. I agree with you that it needs fixing.
The reason I ask about cross staffing is that the semiquavers aren't beamed together in a way that would need this. It's just extra work. If you wamt the sqs to be upright, select them one at a time and press x until they flip.
If there is another layer of notes below them that we haven't seen then put them in in voice 2 with these sqs in voice 1 and they will flip automatically. You don't need cross staff notes unless you are doing something like the attached.
Attachments
cross staff.png
cross staff.png (67.57 KiB) Viewed 2800 times
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk