Chord Symbols in Sib 2019

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
BigBand
Sibelius Version: 2019
Operating System: Windows

Post by BigBand » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:37 am

I have been using Sib on a PC since v1 up to v8.8 until now. On buying a new Windows 10 computer I had to buy the latest version of Sib 2019.9 Ultimate.
I write mainly big band and combo charts and there are very few improvements since v7 and some annoyances such as:
1/ I want to add chord symbols into an extracted part without them changing to orange colour and/or transposing.
2/ I used to be able to write a chord symbol exactly how I wanted it to appear in either the part or the score and right click to open a menu to find and add embellishments such as b5#9 etc - this is no longer available? So is it possible to reload a previous version of chord entry and if so, how?
3/ I am finding the taking over of chord symbol entry by the program VERY annoying, ie I can't get rid of the 4 in sus4 and if I write Db9#7 it won't appear as an Opus font but Arial and in red colour as attached!
Attachments
Sib chord.jpg
Db9#7
Sib chord.jpg (7.94 KiB) Viewed 2919 times

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:02 pm

1) nothing should have forced you to upgrade when you moved to Windows 10. Sibelius 6 and onwards will run just fine on it.

2) Use Legacy Chord input and you can write in any chords you like, standard, non-standard, weird, wrong, whatever! :)

3) I guess you're the same person who asked the question over on the official forum. You'll get the same answers here!

BigBand
Sibelius Version: 2019

Post by BigBand » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Thank you andyg, Where or how do I download Legacy Chord? - I had no trouble with my last version of Sib 8.8. This Sib 2019 seems to be a real stuff-up with chord text input. I have spent so much time trying to find the previous chord input style before this latest version of Sibelius, visiting all the setting options I can find with no success. I still have my old Windows 7 desktop computer with Sibelius 8 on it, is there a way I could capture and download the chord system from this perhaps?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:57 pm

It's not a download, it's a feature built into Sibelius. I can't tell you how to find it in Sib 2019 as I stopped upgrading at v7. Even v6 does everything I need, so I certainly won't be changing up! So I can only suggest that you look in the 2019 Reference Manual for 'legacy chords'.

I'm assuming that you have Sibelius Ultimate!