Sax transposition

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
rcmjcz905040
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by rcmjcz905040 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi all-
Just wondered how people go about writing for alto sax and piano.(or alto sax generally)
The mess I’m in is that I’ve written a piece in G for sax and piano-(the sax has the lead line throughout.)Now I know all about the transposition of the sax and its range ,I also know that when it’s printed out the sax part will be transposed for the sax player. Now my query is concerning the process as you don’t see the sax part transposed range when you are writing because everything is concert. What I’m saying is do you have to constantly convert the sax part in your head before writing it, or is there an easier way?
Tried transposing the sax part only when writing so I can see if I’m running out of range, but as soon as I put the change of key sig in, the piano part changes also-bit stuck!
Hope this makes sense

Grant

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:29 pm

What?

Ways of working:

1. Write the whole thing in concert pitch and let sib do the hard work in the parts (turn off transposing score)
2, Make it hard for yourself by writing the sax part at written pitch and the piano in concert pitch. (turn transposing score on).

Whichever you use the part will be automajically transposed into the correct pitch for the sax you are using.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

rcmjcz905040

Post by rcmjcz905040 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:38 am

Thanks Mike- It was just to see how others are working. I knew sib will transpose it- but I keep writing and the red notes keep appearing in the sax part- so I'm constantly going back to full score and transposing the whole thing till the sax plays in range!
Think I'll go with your route no'1 -seems easiest at C pitch.

Thank you
G

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:48 am

Sib's instrument ranges are often 'conservative' I'm a brass player and I KNOW what my instrument can do on a day-to-day basis, so I KNOW that sib's choices of range are limited. For instruments that I am not sure about, I look up the range elsewhere and ignore sib's restrictions as to register.

If you are using a proper sax instrument from the list, the light/dark red notes should appear whether you are looking at concert pitch or not. Can you let me see a score you are having a problem with so I can see if there is some other issue going on?
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

rcmjcz905040

Post by rcmjcz905040 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:12 pm

Thanks Mike-yep I’m ahead of you on that, as I did look up sax ranges after I saw the red notes. My wife seems to agree with you as she plays sax, and states that some red notes are certainly playable, just a bit more difficult! Perhaps I should simply take a little “off” the top and bottom of the ranges when composing to be safe. That said-it’s also to do with genre! Jazz, unlike Classical can probably play (even benefit and like, I guess) a pushed range!