Collision cannot be resolved - possible bug

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
theaviv
Sibelius Version: Ultimate 2020.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by theaviv » Tue May 19, 2020 11:24 am

Hi,

I am using Sibelius Ultimate 2020.3 on an iMac.

I have given myself an exercise: I am copying the entire score of Palladio by Karl Jenkins to learn how to use Sibelius properly. I am using a YouTube video (https://youtu.be/32Ag0dBGbvc) as a reference to the original score while typesetting it. I finished copying section A, bars 1-18.

For some reason, the octave up line in bars 11-12 is displaying in red and I cannot resolve the collision. I tried optimizing the staff spacing by selecting the entire score and then clicking the Selection button from the Layout tab. The octave up line in bars 11-12 is still coming up as red, and I must admit, it is irritating me.

In Sibelius Ultimate 2020.1, the score looked perfect - there were no collisions. After the update, the octave up line started displaying in red. I emailed Sibelius Technical Support about the potential bug and have not heard back from them yet.

Here is a Dropbox link where you can find the Sibelius file I am working on along with a screenshot showing the problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fmt7k4djjncv ... 2-ga2-c34a

I would appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks in advance!
theaviv.ca

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue May 19, 2020 3:01 pm

OK there's no need to panic. It's just showing you that there is a collision. The collision occurs between the staff barline and the 8ve line. It will not print or show red in an exported pdf. If it annoys you you can turn off magnetic layout for the line.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

theaviv

Post by theaviv » Tue May 19, 2020 7:02 pm

Thank you Mike. I appreciate your answer. I now understand why it was indicating a collision and how to resolve it. But, if I may add, there was no need to be condescending towards me. I was not panicking. I think it is fair to want to know why something is showing up a certain way and what to do about it. Thanks again.
theaviv.ca

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue May 19, 2020 8:35 pm

Sorry, I wasn't being condescending, it was intended as a bit of light banter. Chill!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

theaviv

Post by theaviv » Tue May 26, 2020 10:15 pm

Sibelius Technical Support got back to me today. They identified this as a bug:
Hi Aviv,

Thank you for your patience. I am glad to let you know that the issue you are having is already in our ITs queue for a fix. This will be included in a pending release for a future update. In the meantime, we suggest that you disregard the red octave line. If you print the score it wouldn't be printed as red anyway. If the soft copy bothers you, you can turn off Magnetic Layout and position the lines manually instead.

I will now be closing this case since the issue has already been addressed. Feel free to contact us back in case you need our assistance again.
theaviv.ca