Sibelius Not Working in Catalina

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
sus4

Post by sus4 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:30 am

Well, I just upgraded from Mojave to Catalina OS on my Mac and of course there is a problem. The problem is Sibelius won't open. Well, that's not completely true. Sibelius does in fact open, it's my scores that don't open. Well, that's not completely true either. You know when you open Sibelius the Quick Start window opens, at least on my mac it does. In the Quick Start window almost all of my scores are there. Why some are there and some are not, I don't know why. Maybe someone here would know. Anyway, I don't usually open my scores from the Quick Start window. I go to the upper left hand corner where the name Sibelius is. I click on File and scroll down and click on open. A window opens and I choose Sibelius Scores. Another window opens and all my scores appear. This is where I choose a score that I want to open. I click on the name of the score and it opens.......it used to. Now when I click on a score nothing happens. A scary feeling. Can someone tell how to correct this? Like I said earlier, if I click on a score in the Quick Start window the score opens which would be great if only all of my scores would show up there. So, if I knew how to get all my scores in the Quick Start window that would be great. I know every time you upgrade to a newer OS there is usually a problem that's why I usually wait about 6 months before I upgrade. Thanks for any help.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am

OK, don't panic.

Earlier versions of Sib won't work at all on Catalina. I don't know which version of Sibelius you have because you didn't say. If it's 32 bit sibelius you can kiss it goodbye on Catalina.

The quick start is a good idea. I use it myself all the time, however you have to clean it out fairly regularly. The symptoms you are describing are what happens when the 'Recent files' list gets longer than about 1500 items, The quick start becomes disorganised with broken shortcuts and missing entries. Go to File-->Recent-->Clear Recent Documents.. This is a known issue and you just have to remember, as I doubt the Sib team consider this a priority, given what else is wrong.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

sus4

Post by sus4 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:42 pm

Mike, thanks for you quick reply. I understand exactly what you're saying and I just went to Clear Recent Documents. I don't think I should have done that. Now Quick Start is empty so, how do I open my scores? As I said above I would go to File (not File in a score), the one in upper left hand corner where it says Sibelius File Edit Window Help. I would click on "File", scroll down to "Open", click on Open and a window opens with all my scores there. I would click on the name of a score and it would open. That's how i would open one of my scores. But, now that I upgraded to Catalina, when I click on the name of a score nothing happens. Quick Start won't help me now because there is nothing in it now.
My version of Sibelius is 8.4.2 Build 231. How do I check to see if it's 32 or 64 bit? Anyway, I have to find another way of opening my scores. Sorry Mike, I just checked Quick Start and there is everything that I thought I cleared. Is there a way of just clearing out certain stuff?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue May 19, 2020 8:33 pm

There are a number of ways to open sib files. I assume you have saved them in the default scores folder?
1. Use the button on the bottom of the quickstart screen
2. Double click any sib file
3. Use your OS' finder or whatever to view the location of your scores folder and open them from there.

It is REALLY important to organise your sib files so that you know where they are. Create a folder tree. Mine looks a bit like the image. Each type of ensemble has its own folder, with subfolders for titles etc.
Attachments
file structure.png
file structure.png (135.68 KiB) Viewed 2904 times
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk