System Text Not Appearing in Part

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
ConnorGBrown
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by ConnorGBrown » Mon May 31, 2021 11:50 pm

Hello,

I'm having an issue with system text not properly displaying in a part.
The part is made of two instruments, Violin I and its solo violin line above.

The tempi and rehearsal markings are not appearing.
With only the top staff receiving system objects, I get this:
Part_1.png
Part_1.png (37.91 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
With the top staff AND Violin I receiving them, I get this:
Part_1_All.png
Part_1_All.png (47.55 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
(the tempo had to be dragged up to rest above the top staff properly)

Here is another example showing the tempo and rehearsal mark in the full score, while the part is missing both:
Score&Part_B.png
Score&Part_B.png (250.36 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
--

Despite being hidden, I believe multi-rests are being broken properly to suit tempo marks. For example, I see a multi-rest split up as:
[3] | [3] || [2}
where the double barline gets the break but doesn't show the tempo indication, and the normal barline is separated at the spot a poco rit. appears. So the breaks are correct, but the system text is still hidden.

The rehearsal marks are also still affecting the part as the bar numbers that occur at rehearsal marks are being properly omitted.

- Also perhaps of note, my time signatures appear to be system-positioned, as the bottom ones disappear when only the top position is chosen (see Part_1 above). These time signatures appear throughout the score with this position-setting, except where the solo line is unhidden (as in the picture). -

I've checked that all the tempi (regular and tempo alterations, which is my text style for rit./accel./etc.) are in tempo text; they all work properly in the score as system text.

This hiding of the tempi and rehearsal marks exists in other parts as well (e.g. Clarinet in B-flat shows zero tempo indications and rehearsal marks regardless of system-object-positions settings).

It seems as though my parts just aren't allowing them to appear, and I really haven't a clue as to why. I don't see anything in the house style for parts that would cause this.

Any help would be wonderful!

Thank you,

Connor
Last edited by ConnorGBrown on Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Connor G. Brown
connor@connorbrownmusic.com

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:05 am

So, have you checked this? (image)
systemobjectpositions.png
systemobjectpositions.png (21.14 KiB) Viewed 4410 times

Also, if a system object is not in the first bar of a rest, it can often be hidden.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

ConnorGBrown

Post by ConnorGBrown » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:15 am

Yes I've tried checking the system object positions settings, as the first two pictures show. Checking any combination of them was unable to fix the problem.

It is ostensibly some sort of system object position issue though.
As the two pictures I showed first explain, checking that the system text appears above both the staves allows the tempi which occur at sections containing both instruments to appear, but then only above the bottom staff. When the solo stave is hidden, no tempo markings appear.

System text (including bar numbers, etc.) should all appear above the staves in parts as a default, so I can't tell what would've happened to cause this.

- Connor
Connor G. Brown

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:06 am

The best way to diagnose this would be for you to send me the original file so that I can see what you have done and not done. (email in my signature)

I have to say I'm still not entirely clear about what end result you want to achieve.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

ConnorGBrown

Post by ConnorGBrown » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:49 pm

I've found out why the tempi and rehearsal marks weren't appearing above the staff properly in my Parts. It was of course quite simple: the Top Staff position hadn't been checked on for the Tempo and Rehearsal Mark text styles. This is because my film-score style bar numbers require that only the 2nd and 4th positions be turned on so that the the tempi appear above the Flute and Strings, and not also above the "Bar Number" staff at the top.
FullScore_3Tempi.png
FullScore_3Tempi.png (29.3 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
I could've sworn I'd checked this option before, but I suppose I'm stupid once in a while.

This does cause another problem though: the text styles don't seem to allow differentiation between Full Score and Parts, so I can't have Top Staff turned on for one and off for the other. This means that, for now, I have to simply leave the tempi markings on for the full score until I decide to print (in which case I'll turn them off briefly to hide them). It's annoying, but only slightly. I'd call it a fair workaround for having the bar number style that I want (it's a shame it hasn't yet been implemented as a default style).

If anyone knows a better solution, I'm all ears!

- Connor
Connor G. Brown

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:13 pm

I for one am more than happy that it is NOT the default style. We aren't all film composers.