Sib not recognising the input device

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Kye
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Windows

Post by Kye » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:02 pm

My Sib Ultimate is connected to Korg pa4x via Steinberg UR22. My windows 10 computer recognises the Steinberg in 'devices', so the midi signal should be coming through, but neither Korg or Steinberg is listed in the 'input devices' on Sibelius. In fact it's just blank. I have downloaded the Korg USB driver. I also have switched on the Korg before starting up Sibelius. Any suggestions anyone? Many thanks. Kye.
(Note: I used to run Sibelius on my Mac which was fine until the Mac eventually wore out! So I got a fresh download from Avid for my windows 10 computer. This seems to have downwloaded OK...ie I can input notes with the mouse, but have no playback)

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:02 pm

Before we go any further. You have activated the licence as Ultimate? You're not inadvertently running basic Sibelius? Remember that there is only one Sibelius download from Avid, and the tier that you're working with depends on which tier is paid for and activated.

Why are you connecting via the UR22 when the Korg can plug straight in to the PC via USB? I'd try that first, leaving the UR22 aside for the moment.

Have you gone into 'Input Devices' and told Sibelius to scan for new devices?

Kye

Post by Kye » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:56 pm

Thanks for you help. Sibelius is now responding to the keyboard (I needed an updated driver for the Steinberg Interface). However, when I play a note on the keyboard, it doubles up on the Sibelius score. Might you know what can cause this? I haven't tried Sibelius directly linked by USB to my Korg (i.e.without the interface) because I also want to use Cubase Elements 11, and this I believe requires an interface.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:23 pm

If your keyboard plugs straight in via USB, it will work with both Sibelius and Cubase. No need for the interface.

As for the doubling of notes, that's a MIDI setting either in Sibelius or on the keyboard. However, as I don't have Ultimate or know how your Korg works, I can't tell you exactly how to find it. It's caused by the Korg sending the note to Sibelius, Sibelius echoing that note back to the Korg and the Korg then re-sending it to Sibelius. It's a MIDI Thru setting that you're looking for.

Kye

Post by Kye » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:07 pm

Thanks again. I discovered (by trial and error) that the doubling up of notes was because I was using an instrument setting on the Korg which contains two instruments ( e.g. piano adeline, which is piano and strings together). Now its gets interesting because I want to reproduce that exact sound in Sibelius, as well as any other instruments on the Korg, including backing and rhythms etc. At the moment, Sibelius seems to be defaulting to its own internal piano sound.