Using Swing and straight note playback

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
adidas16385

Post by adidas16385 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:23 am

Does anyone know of a way to use swing playback, then have it automatically switch over to straight notes at a certain point in the song? TIA

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:43 pm

Use a System Text (like Tempo text) and write "Swing" at the beat you want to start swing feel.
Use the same type of text but write "Straight" at the beat you want to go straight feel again.
Maybe you'll have to fiddle around with the Playback Properties, I'm not sure. But normally. these two words should do the trick.

Zap

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:40 pm

Zapruder wrote:Use a System Text (like Tempo text) and write "Swing" at the beat you want to start swing feel.
Use the same type of text but write "Straight" at the beat you want to go straight feel again.
Maybe you'll have to fiddle around with the Playback Properties, I'm not sure. But normally. these two words should do the trick.

Zap
This works globally but seemingly not on isolated instruments. eg 1 beat of dotted 8's against 1 beat of straight 16's on another instrument.

t!g3r

Post by t!g3r » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:06 pm

Try entering the straight notes as a duplet, then hide the bracket and number. This should work well.

Good luck.

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:10 am

Ah yes, straight versus swing in different instruments in the same bar, that's another question.
I think Korneels' workaround does the trick. To be more precise: I presume Korneel uses this "duplet-trick" when the whole score is played back in swing (using the tempo text word). If I'm wrong, please correct me Korneel. Kinda elaborate, but I guess it's the only way out.

Let us know if this workaround helped.

Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

t!g3r

Post by t!g3r » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:51 am

You are totally right, Zap. It works fine on my machine.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:03 pm

Third beat of a 4/4 bar is 4 semi-quavers. When I select 1st semi=quaver and Create Tuplet I've tried several variations but can't get it to accept a 4:1 duplet. Selecting 4 only intrudes on the last quarter note. Motive is to get the third beat not to swing.

What am I doing wrong?

Big Al