Sibelius Forum Store | Buy Sheet Music

how to manage a final sheet design

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").

how to manage a final sheet design

Postby vamm » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:31 pm

ok let's say i have finished all the stuff, wrote/recorded/marked all the notes.
now i want to make it clear and readable. I set a special number of bars for every page, a width of bars and so on. I want the first theme will finish exactly at the last bar of a page, the second one will start with a new page etc., you get my point.
the only one problem is - the program rules it together with me, and rewrite and redesign all changes I do afterwards. And when I come back to the pages I have already fixed, I just see all my changes are gone and the sheet design looks like it was a one hour ago when I had started.
The question - how do I say to Sib., don't touch anything, it's done, it's final?
vamm
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: how to manage a final sheet design

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor
 

Re: how to manage a final sheet design

Postby MikeLyons » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:19 pm

If you want to fix the system/page ends, select the barline you want the system to finish on and press [return] and for a page break press[ctrl/cmd][return]
[return] is the large enter key on the main part of teh keyboard, not the [enter] key on the numberpad.

I don't know why you want to do this. Sib is very good at properly flowing the music on the page. Each system will likely have different numbers of beats on it so it will naturally contain different numbers of bars.

The only place where this generally doesn't happen is with what are called 'lead sheets' which have the same number of bars per system.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2019.1, Windows 10, 8MB RAM, 7TB 7200RPM Storage, Note Performer 2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others.
MikeLyons
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:20 pm

Re: how to manage a final sheet design

Postby vamm » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:12 pm

MikeLyons wrote:If you want to fix the system/page ends, select the barline you want the system to finish on and press [return] and for a page break press[ctrl/cmd][return]
[return] is the large enter key on the main part of teh keyboard, not the [enter] key on the numberpad.

I don't know why you want to do this. Sib is very good at properly flowing the music on the page. Each system will likely have different numbers of beats on it so it will naturally contain different numbers of bars.

The only place where this generally doesn't happen is with what are called 'lead sheets' which have the same number of bars per system.


thanks for your reply
it is exactly to the point. unfortunately in my case Sib does not flow the music properly. It needs manual enhancing 8)
vamm
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: how to manage a final sheet design

Postby bobp » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:23 am

You can also change the staff size. Not just the number of measures per line. This sometimes helps.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop
bobp
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am

Re: how to manage a final sheet design

Postby vamm » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:38 pm

bobp wrote:You can also change the staff size. Not just the number of measures per line. This sometimes helps.

what do you mean by "staff size" ? make it small-size? how?
vamm
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: how to manage a final sheet design

Postby MikeLyons » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:56 pm

It depends on your version of Sibelius. From version 8, I think, onwards you can have each instrument on a different sized staff. You choose it in the instruments dialog.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2019.1, Windows 10, 8MB RAM, 7TB 7200RPM Storage, Note Performer 2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others.
MikeLyons
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:20 pm

Re: how to manage a final sheet design

Postby vamm » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:40 pm

MikeLyons wrote:It depends on your version of Sibelius. From version 8, I think, onwards you can have each instrument on a different sized staff. You choose it in the instruments dialog.

may be i understood you wrong
didn't you mean smth like on this Liszt screen ?
https://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/score/PaganiniEtudes.html
vamm
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: how to manage a final sheet design

Postby bobp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:31 am

Mike,

Did they do away with the ability to change staff size over all? Like from the layout tab?
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop
bobp
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am

Re: how to manage a final sheet design

Postby vamm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:12 pm

does anybody know about the question I have asked in the previous post?
vamm
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: how to manage a final sheet design

Postby MikeLyons » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:07 pm

I have already told you how to make 'system breaks' by pressing [return] after selecting the barline you want the break on. Make sure your margins are set appropriately to allow so many notes on a line and change the staff size as a last resort if all else fails.

In order to get rid of any messing around you may have already done, I would select all ([ctrl]a) followed by [ctrl][shift]u (unlock format) followed by [ctrl][shift]n (reset note spacing). Then select the first barline (end of bar 1) and press [return] This will move the following bars onto the next system. Do the same for all the bars at which you want to make a line break.

This is one of the simplest things to do in Sib.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2019.1, Windows 10, 8MB RAM, 7TB 7200RPM Storage, Note Performer 2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others.
MikeLyons
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:20 pm

Re: how to manage a final sheet design

Postby vamm » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:55 pm

MikeLyons wrote:I have already told you how to make 'system breaks' by pressing [return] after selecting the barline you want the break on. Make sure your margins are set appropriately to allow so many notes on a line and change the staff size as a last resort if all else fails.

In order to get rid of any messing around you may have already done, I would select all ([ctrl]a) followed by [ctrl][shift]u (unlock format) followed by [ctrl][shift]n (reset note spacing). Then select the first barline (end of bar 1) and press [return] This will move the following bars onto the next system. Do the same for all the bars at which you want to make a line break.

This is one of the simplest things to do in Sib.


oh thanks but i did it already long ago, many thanks to help. but what i have asked recently it is a question from https://www.sibeliusforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=84188#p84188 about how to make notes smaller (for large passages for example) - i attached the pic
vamm
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 pm



Similar topics


Return to Beginners

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests


Music Engravers and Music Copyists
   Finale - Sibelius - Cakewalk - Archives - Sibelius Books - Links - Contact


Copyright © 1994 - 2019 by C.M. Press, LLC